Would This Work?

Business By kdaze Updated 30 Jan 2010 , 6:05pm by blessedist

kdaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdaze Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 7

I am thinking about how start my business. I live in a neighborhood with a difficult HOA. I know I can not run a business out of my home, but if I converted my second story into a commercial kitchen and rented an office downtown to meet with clients, show displays, allow cusomters to pickup cakes would that work? My home kitchen would be my "home office space" and my rental location would be my business location. Any thoughts would be helpful.


6 replies
thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 7

You would need to check with the Health Department. I know that here you can not have a commercial kitchen that is accessed through your house. But every state is different. It would be something to look into.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 7

First you need to talk to your code enforcement office, and tell them your plan that you will not be seeing customers in your home, you might have to attend a meeting with the board members.(that's what I had to do.)then talk to the HD and let him or her know the same plan, no customers at the house. and then go from there.

kdaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdaze Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 7

My upstairs has a separate door inside my foyer. And I also realize I may have to have another door put in upstairs to go outside. ( with a lot of stairs) . I'm kinda wondering about it from a customers point of view.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 7

You need to check with your local building dept. The HD will not issue a permit to someone in an unpproved buliding.


kdaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdaze Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 7

Of course, I want a dhec certified kitchen.

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 7

The HOA is a pain!! I'm in SC as well, and I've thought of the SAME thing as far as either building a commercial kitchen on my property or renting space from someone near and having a small office for consults only. I'm even thinking of moving to NC (since it's legal in your home) and having an office there to only meet my clients. Decisions...decisions! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%