Nicholas Lodge's Tylose Gumpaste ... ???

Baking By Mikel79 Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 6:48pm by Joanne1944

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all!

I hope that someone reading this has made this recipe before. I have a question about one of his instructions:

"Adding enough of the reserved powdered sugar to form soft but not sticky dough."

His instructions before this tell me to keep 1 cup of reserved powdered sugar to the side for this step. My question is, do I add the entire 1 cup of reserved sugar to the paste as I knead it in, or do I just add enough until it is the correct consistency??

I appreciate your help!!

5 replies
Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 6

I just made some yesterday. I add a little powdered sugar at a time and knead until it is the right consistency. I didn't use all the powdered sugar. It seems to vary each time I make it, maybe depending on the humidity.
I love this gumpaste. It is my favorite.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 6

I rarely use the entire reserved cup. Just knead in enough to keep it from sticking to your hands. It is my favorite recipe, too thumbs_up.gif

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 6

I appreciate the help!

One more question. Do you wait the full 24 hours in the fridge before use? I am going to be shy a few hours of the 24 mark, will I be ok?

=)

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 6

i do like the others... but ... i use lite coating of shortening on my hands.. sometimes.. i don,t even need to use any of the extra sugar. sometimes i do.. i put the shortening on my hands.. and it helps so much to get all the dough from the mixer.. hth

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 6

You will be just fine on not waiting the full 24 hours. I have used this fondant right after I made it, but I like it better after it has been in the fridge a few hours. Overnight is even better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%