Help With Fondant Drapes And Transporting Cake?

Decorating By MissRobin Updated 19 Jan 2007 , 3:03pm by MissRobin

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 20

I am doing a wedding cake in a couple of weeks. I am planning on putting fondant drapes on all three tiers? My question is if I stack and transport will the fondant drapes be ok? I really don't want to have to do them on site.

19 replies
subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 20

If you cake is covered with fondant, and the drapes are attached with piping gel or what ever kind of "glue" you use, I would say that they would transport ok.but if the cake is covered with buttercream, as I have seen done, I would attach on site. Hope this helps.
I don't think I would have the nerve to transport a stacked 3 tiered cake. I would assemble on site, but thats just me.

LoriGross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriGross Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 20

I am facing the same challenge as MissRobin, only for a wedding in 9 months. I'm going to be making a 3-tiered cake, covered in fondant, and the bride wants fondant drapes along the sides. The location is more than 2 hours from me, so I REALLY don't want to drive an "already stacked" cake that far. I would be ready for the nuthouse by the time we got there!!

I have not yet made fondant drapes, but I understand that it takes fondant a few days to dry. If you put them on the cake, on site, would they loose their shape? Would the "creases" in the "fabric" fall out because they had not had time to set?

Also, how do you transport them so they don't dry out or get squished by the time they get to the location?

Thanks for any insights!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 20

I just took a fondant class with a girl who does those kind of cakes all the time -- she puts the drapes on and transports, but brings a "doctor kit" with excess fondant and tools and piping gel/royal icing "glue" because something always falls off that cake!

I transport stacked cakes all the time, never had a problem if they are secured. I have had embellishments fall off the cake though, but that's easily fixed. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

MissRobin Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 20

Thanks Guys. I have transported my cake stacked before, it is a little nerve racking but, It saves time. If you make the drapes too far in advance wouldn't they get too hard and be hard to shape on the cake, does that make sense? I want to do drapes around the bottom of tiers and then drape to next tier, What do you guys think, I need all the help I can get, I haven't done them before.

bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 20

You want to hang them on the cake moments after you form them and let them dry on the cake. Any longer than that and you won't be able to work with them on the cake AND they run the risk of breaking.

MissRobin Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 20

Thanks! You are always such a great help! thumbs_up.gif

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 20

I've have to put drapes on at the reception site before, because the cake was too heavy to move when assambled. I made all the drapes before hand and cut them all to shape. I then layed them flat on a cookie sheet, covered them with plastic wrap and then layed a damp towel over that. This makes sure that no air will get in to dry them. When I got to the reception site, they were as fresh as when I had rolled them out and just took a few second to put on the cake. Always bring extras incase of damage while placing on the cake.

LoriGross Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 20

Thank you, Bobwonderbuns and SweetArt.

SweetArt: What do you use to adhere the drapes to the cake?

SweetArt Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 5:31pm
post #10 of 20

Piping gel

LoriGross Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 5:56pm
post #11 of 20

Thanks!

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 11:27pm
post #12 of 20

Have any of you used "white chocolate" for drapes? Any tips/ideas?

bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 11:40pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady2Hands

Have any of you used "white chocolate" for drapes? Any tips/ideas?

No, I haven't but I've heard of those who have and from what I've been told they use the chocolate modeling clay and roll it thin and work it as fondant. BUT you must knead it very, very well first to get it pliable, or you'll break your arms trying to work with it. icon_rolleyes.gif

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 12:02am
post #14 of 20

Yikes ~ that makes me nervous. Here's a picture of the cake she wants. I just started a forum topic on it hoping to get tips.

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/store/common/largeCoverPopup.jhtml?imageUrl=/bhg/images/Store/Products/p_SCWeddingSum06_555946.jpg

Thanks!

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 12:12am
post #15 of 20

That's a pretty cake. And fundamentally it's not that hard to do. You'll do fine!! icon_biggrin.gif

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 12:30pm
post #16 of 20

For me I would be putting the drapes on seperately making sure when you assemble that they are in the right place so it looks like one long drape. I would also be transporting unassembled and putting together at the reception. Then you don't have the worry of trying to keep them pliable to assembel at the reception. But again if you are experienced in transporting 3 tiers assembled you should have no problems. Go for it.

MissRobin Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 2:14pm
post #17 of 20

I don't know, I think if I put them on before it was assembled they might not drape where I want them or lose their pliability and would be hard to make look like it was one drape. The cake I am doing has drapes that wrap around the bottom of each tier and one end flows down to the next tier. Another question is do most do 50/50 gumpaste and fondant for drapes? I laid awake several hours last night thinking about this cake! Urgh!!!!

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 2:21pm
post #18 of 20

i have no words of wisdom just encouragment. good luck. i hope everything works out for you

SweetArt Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 2:21pm
post #19 of 20

Deffinately don't put the drapes on until the cake is fully assambled. If you use a 50/50 paste it will be easier to handle, you'll be able to roll it thinner, and you'll get a more realistic fabric look. It's what I prefer to use for drapes.

MissRobin Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 3:03pm
post #20 of 20

Thanks SweetArt!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%