Michele Foster's Fondant Help!!!!

Decorating By mcampbell31 Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 8:23am by mcampbell31

mcampbell31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcampbell31 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:27am
post #1 of 9

Hi All! Ok this is my first time making fondant period. I made two batches of the MFF last night. Thought they came out great. Well today I go to break it apart and it does just that break apart without any type of elasticity. Hmm what's a girl to do? So I start kneeding it with some powder sugar and it's still not giving me that elasticity that say Satin Ice gives me. Is this the way the fondant is suppose to be? What am I doing wrong? Also it tends to start to get sticky. I'm so tired but I need to get this right. I have a cake due Saturday and I really don't want to have to go out and buy fondant after I spent so much time making it.

8 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:46am
post #2 of 9

I use MFF and I've never had a problem with it. I know that her receipe says that the first 5 ingredients must be measured accurately. Are your measurements accurate? Just trying to troubleshoot icon_confused.gif . Her receipe also says that if the fondant is too dry to knead in more glycerine. It is also easier to work with small amounts of fondant at a time then work them together. Hope it works for you as this is very good fondant. I make 2-3 batches of MFF each week. Good luck.

mcampbell31 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:59am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I use MFF and I've never had a problem with it. I know that her receipe says that the first 5 ingredients must be measured accurately. Are your measurements accurate? Just trying to troubleshoot icon_confused.gif . Her receipe also says that if the fondant is too dry to knead in more glycerine. It is also easier to work with small amounts of fondant at a time then work them together. Hope it works for you as this is very good fondant. I make 2-3 batches of MFF each week. Good luck.

I'll trying adding the glycerine and see what happens.
It's soft not hard it's just that it breaks apart easily.

mcampbell31 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:08am
post #4 of 9

Ok I added the gylcerine and more powdered sugar and it seem worse. IT's breaking apart more and it is just DRY!!! icon_cry.gif

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:33am
post #5 of 9

Sometimes when I add a lot of shortening to my hands to work it through, it thins it out and makes it more flexible. Remember to only work little bits at a time. For example about the size of a fist. Then once worked out, bring them together to knead. But don't give up on MFF. It so yummy and great to work with. I hope you get it to work! Just FYI, mine just "breaks off" too when I take pieces off of the large slab. I just knead fist sizes well with eith powder sugar (use a shaker to dust surface and hands) or try dusting cornstarch. If your hands get crusted with fondant from kneading it, rinse your hands off and dry well. The buildup on the hands can cause the fondant to not work as well.

Good luck!

mcampbell31 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:38am
post #6 of 9

Yes i'm working with about a fist full right now and this mess is dry! I don't know what to do. i've added so much sugar that i think that is whats making it dry.

my_4_dumplins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my_4_dumplins Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:39am
post #7 of 9

I had this same problem with some MFF I made once. The glycerin didn't work for me either, the only thing that saved it was adding a little more corn syrup. It was my last resort and it worked. You might give it a try with just a small amount and see if it works for you. HTH

mcampbell31 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:54am
post #8 of 9

You have no idea how long i've been working with this stuff to try and get it right. Half of my first batch is just super dry.
I started on another small piece and this seems to be doing better. It still does not have that much stretch. How much stretch is this fondant suppose to have. I pull it a little and it gives me just a little stretch and then breaks off but the break off doesn't look smooth. IT looks dry. Ok I'll try the Corn Syrup. I've ran out of gylcerine.

mcampbell31 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:23am
post #9 of 9

You know maybe it's me. This is my first time covering a cake with fondant besides the cake I covered in my Wilton course. I had some Satin Ice fondant in my cabinet so I pulled that out to see what the consistancy is like and it wasn't that much different from the MFF. The Satin Ice seems to have more stretch and it just seems more yeah satin like. I tried rolling the MFF out and it rolls out so I guess that's good. The thing with it is that it dries really fast. Is it suppose to do that? It get backs to that stage where it breaks apart really fast and doesnt really have stretch at all. I really need to go to bed. I'm putting so much time into this that i'm not getting sleep over it. Now i'll be dreaming about fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%