Copyright On Cakes?

Business By GeordieMum Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 10:26pm by GeordieMum

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 9:23pm
post #31 of 33

If you are in business and making the same exact cake for the exact same price then i think you should do it. However, if you are the charging way less. Then no. not a moral thing. It's a business aproach. You will loose money in the long run and work tons more hours.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:48am
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedesire

If you are going to quote me please keep in mind that I did say TO GIVE CREDIT WERE CREDIT IS DUE!

Ok, I see why you thought that I meant you... instead of writing "not directed at OP" I should have writen "not directed at cakesdesire". My mistake in typing my disclaimer. icon_smile.gif

GeordieMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeordieMum Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 10:26pm
post #33 of 33

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond to my question, I really appreciate all your thoughts on the matter.

As you may have seen if any visited my photos - I always try and credit here on Cake Central the cakes that I have 'attempted' to copy, or designs that I have used for inspiration and I was wanting to do the same thing for this engagement cake. I definitely believe in credit where credit is due. icon_smile.gif

Also just to clarify - I'm not (totally) undercutting the bakery in town. To my huge surprise I discovered our quotes were within a few dollars of each other - I believe I got the order over the bakery thanks to the generous recommendations from my friends (including the clients sister) who I have done cakes for before icon_smile.gif

The client has requested a few changes to the picture that she has bought to me (colours, ribbon, writing etc) but I am also going to respond to her with the suggestions you have all left me, which include perhaps making it a bit more 'personal' and perhaps more individual rather than an exact replica. Given that I am just starting in this business also - I don't expect my cake to look anything like the job the bakery has done!

Thanks again everyone, this is such a great place for newbies like me who are starting out - you are all such a wealth of information and I'm very grateful!

....Now, does anyone have any tips on how to cover a 12" square in fondant.... Eeek! icon_biggrin.gif Am off to practice...

Happy Baking,
Geordie x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%