Hour Long Cake Boss Special

Lounge By pattigunter Updated 31 Jan 2010 , 1:10am by Butterfly27

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 34

Next Sunday (1/31/2010) they are airing on TLC a new Cake Boss. He's building a race car - full size race car - from cake. I cant wait! My husband is a nascar fanatic and he is as excited for this episode as I am. We read about it in the paper early last fall when he built it and I wondered if they would make an episode of the show about it.

33 replies
meri1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meri1028 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 34

I saw that last night & I got so excited I almost wet my pants! Just kidding! But I can't wait!!!!! I wonder how long it took him. icon_biggrin.gif

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 34

Duff could do it better icon_biggrin.gif

ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 34

Buddy's cakes are really terrific. But I just can't seem to get past all the fighting, arguing and temper tantrums on the show. I don't think it adds to the show at all!!! I can't believe his employees put up with all his ranting. I'm surprised he has any employees at all. And I'm sure TLC stages a lot of it, but come on people, enough is enough!!!!!

Ace of cakes is a much classier, and much more enjoyable show to watch!!!

Darthburn Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 34

It's all family... it's like normal everyday life to them.

I like the show... not too fond of Buddy or his work though. Don't get me wrong, the guy could bake circles around me with a blindfold and one arm tied behind his back. It's just that his cakes seem so similar... tiered or sheet.

But yeah Duff and the Ace of Cakes crew... they have it going on! Those are some super talented artists there.

It's funny though how I can make a cake for the church ladies here and they see it and start going "oh this reminds me of Cake Boss!! I love that show!" And I'm like, "well this isn't CLOSE to Cake Boss work and second... what about Ace of Cakes?!?!" I dunno... maybe it's the channel it's on.

I'd love to see a cake Challenge with 2 of the 4 being Buddy and Duff. icon_smile.gif

And I will be very interested to see this episode... thank you for the heads up! icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 34

Most of the employees are "family" and if you've ever been around a big Italian family that's exactly how communicate. You can't change someone just because they are on TV. As far as Ace of Cakes being classier, that's a matter of opinion. I can't stand Duff's laugh and most of the employees just don't look that well groomed to me. JMO

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattigunter

Next Sunday (1/31/2010) they are airing on TLC a new . He's building a race car - full size race car - from cake. I cant wait! My husband is a nascar fanatic and he is as excited for this episode as I am. We read about it in the paper early last fall when he built it and I wondered if they would make an episode of the show about it.

My hubby is excited about this episode as well!! LOL!! He will watch the Cake Boss before I will. Only thing he doesn't like about Cake Boss is that one sister (the one who ate the flowers); he feels that she needs to be fired!! LOL!! icon_lol.gif

I really enjoy this show because he actually shows you how he does the cake.

To DARTHBURN: It's funny how, I've been doing cakes for a couple of years now and no one ever mentions Duff (who I love), but now they always tell me, everytime I watch Cake Boss, I think of you!!

I love Ace of Cakes; especially their dry humor (Geoff and the girl who loves cats) icon_biggrin.gif

Mothersuperior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mothersuperior Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:47pm
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramacake

Buddy's cakes are really terrific. But I just can't seem to get past all the fighting, arguing and temper tantrums on the show. I don't think it adds to the show at all!!! I can't believe his employees put up with all his ranting. I'm surprised he has any employees at all. And I'm sure TLC stages a lot of it, but come on people, enough is enough!!!!!

I couldn't agree more, i too think his work is amazing, but sometimes I feel i'm watching an episode of BRIDEZILLA!!!! icon_cry.gif

Lorieann55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorieann55 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramacake

I grew up in NY, had lots of big, loud Italian aunts and uncles. I love watching the show because I can close my eyes and it takes me home..... ahhhhhh, memories! icon_lol.gif

agconner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agconner Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 10:03pm
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthburn

It's all family... it's like normal everyday life to them.

I like the show... not too fond of Buddy or his work though. Don't get me wrong, the guy could bake circles around me with a blindfold and one arm tied behind his back. It's just that his cakes seem so similar... tiered or sheet.

But yeah Duff and the Ace of Cakes crew... they have it going on! Those are some super talented artists there.

I agree that alot of the cakes that are done on cake boss are the same idea, but when you think about it that bakery prob does over 100 cakes a week, and if they were all different they would not have time to do them all. I like both shows really, but I tend to like the cakes from cake boss alot more. I love see all the wedding cakes that they do and you never see them on ace of cakes. But as always to each his or her own.

Marinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marinette Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 10:08pm
post #11 of 34

I think both shows are good. But Duff is BETTER!! Do you think $350 is expencive for a class with Buddy?

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 10:11pm
post #12 of 34

[/quote]I grew up in NY, had lots of big, loud Italian aunts and uncles. I love watching the show because I can close my eyes and it takes me home..... ahhhhhh, memories! icon_lol.gif[/quote]

thumbs_up.gif

I also like that he shares more techniques than the other shows.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 11:03pm
post #13 of 34

Cake Boss is my favorite cake show. I love his cakes. Wish i could work there a couple of days a week. I would love to know his buttercream recipe. My husband even watches with me.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:07am
post #14 of 34

My dear, beloved Darthburn, eat dirt!!! icon_lol.gif

I like both shows, but I'm about to tell you why I think Buddy is better then Duff. Duff's cakes, when he goes 3D or anything non-traditional, are not much cake or even edible stuff. Buddy's cakes are mostly cake and at what isn't cake is edible. Duff's crew are definetly artist who's mediun is cake...to an extent. Very talented crew. Buddy's people are bakers who happen to do artistic caes. Very talent crew as well. Myself, I am a baker, who happens to decorate high-end cakes. Maybe I do have a little bias...but I'm still right! icon_lol.gif

agconner Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:22am
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinette

I think both shows are good. But Duff is BETTER!! Do you think $350 is expencive for a class with Buddy?

Buddy does classes? And for only 350? WOW I dont think that is expencive giving his level of skill.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:24am
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

My dear, beloved Darthburn, eat dirt!!! icon_lol.gif

I like both shows, but I'm about to tell you why I think Buddy is better then Duff. Duff's cakes, when he goes 3D or anything non-traditional, are not much cake or even edible stuff. Buddy's cakes are mostly cake and at what isn't cake is edible. Duff's crew are definetly artist who's mediun is cake...to an extent. Very talented crew. Buddy's people are bakers who happen to do artistic caes. Very talent crew as well. Myself, I am a baker, who happens to decorate high-end cakes. Maybe I do have a little bias...but I'm still right! icon_lol.gif

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Darthburn Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:28am
post #17 of 34

Well who could argue with that, LaBella?

Oh yeah... me.

Actually I think for both shows there is more that happens behind the scenes than we know. For instance... I agree about Duff's cakes not feeding many for the concept of the cake... but a lot of times when the cake is not big you can sheets in the background. Escpecially if it's a display type cake for a show. Duff himself doesn't work on the cakes as much as Buddy does, he relies on his talent. But he knows how to if he has too. Inn Duff's defense, sometimes it's hard to achieve the shapes they need for a cake... for example the humpty dumpty egg. Too much round for cake. To me, Buddy's cakes, if not a wedding cake (which are gorgeous) there are scale and detail issues.... for example the army cake he made. That was one of his poorest in my opinion. And the candyland cake... was just... boring and overkill. So I have my likes and dislikes for both. I'm just sorry you're upset that Duff takes the cake! (You see what I did there?? Talking about cake, and I said he took the.... ahhh whatever.. you get it!) Haha! icon_lol.gif

That is part of what makes us all so great, cause if we liked the same thing it would be drab! icon_smile.gif

agconner Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:41am
post #18 of 34

I agree that sometimes the scale for Buddy's cakes is a little off but I think that comes from having a number of people working on one cake, but I wouldn't say any of his cakes were poor because lets face it I don't know to many decorators that could pull something like that off.

LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:44am
post #19 of 34

Not true about the Humpty Dumpty cake. I know someone, who is beyond talented, that has done a VERY high-end Humpty Dumpty cake, out of all cake. And if I knew how to attach stuff, I would show you a picture. Let's just face it, Duff don't know cake! Well not really, just not how to do everything in cake! icon_lol.gif :p

Darthburn Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:00am
post #20 of 34

You've gotta be kidding me! Are you serious? Ok, on the humpty cake maybe they added styrofoam cause if they didn't the number of servings would have been WAY off. Therefore, not only is he more talented, but more financially inclided too! And I bet the picture you have is lovely... but that was probably the ONLY cake and they had like 3 weeks to do it... Duff only gets about 3 days and has to complete 100 other cakes. Buddy could have NEVER pulled off the humpty cake cause it wasn't sitting on a flat sheet! icon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:04am
post #21 of 34

Your joking me right? Especially on the finance thing, right? I think someone mentioned earlier that Buddy's cakes look similiar. There is a reason for this. Buddy says he is a busuness man above all else, cause he has a huge staff to support. He has no problem cranking out simliar cakes, cause they make him money and he can get them out quick. And what 3 weeks has buddy spent on a cake? icon_confused.gif

Darthburn Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:08am
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

He has no problem cranking out simliar cakes, cause they make him money and he can get them out quick.

Odd, Walmart does that too! Hehe! icon_lol.gif

agconner Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:16am
post #23 of 34

Just because Duff's cakes cost an arm and a leg does not mean that he is more financially inclined. Have you seen the number of cakes that shop does in a week its like 10. And come on the Wal-Mart crack thats a pretty low blow. Let put it this way who is delivering there cakes in a Lincoln Navigator?

Darthburn Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:27am
post #24 of 34

Ok before I get spatula's thrown at me... I'm just kidding... it was a joke.

I'll stop now, ok.

agconner Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:35am
post #25 of 34

It's all in good fun.

LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:55am
post #26 of 34

Okay, lets not take this serious or personal. Everyone is having a good time and some of us like to joke. I don't think anyone is trying to throw low blows. I really respect Buddy, but I'm not going to take someone joking on him personally. Heck, he doesn't even know I exist!

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:56am
post #27 of 34

I like any and all cake shows. I learn some stuff, I laugh at a lot of stuff.. it's all good icon_smile.gif

And I really want to get, "Bake Cake" tattooed on my knuckles. I won't, but I want to icon_biggrin.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:15am
post #28 of 34

You could get it tatooed in flesh colored ink. That way, only you would know it's there! icon_lol.gif

I had to stop watching "Cake Boss". The cakes were beautiful, but I couldn't take the arguing and shouting anymore. Heck, just the sound of Buddy's voice started to grate on me.

LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:18am
post #29 of 34

You know the only person who makes that show hard to watch for me, and I LOOOOVE cake boos, is that sister Mary! If I had one, this is were the puking smiley would be now.

agconner Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:40pm
post #30 of 34

I agree about the sister Mary, she drives me crazy. I think she acts like that for the cameras though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%