Quick Question

Business By karateka Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 1:34am by KawaiiCakeCook

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:36am
post #1 of 4

I had an inquiry about a pirate treasure chest cake that the client would provide the "booty" for. I quoted her my standard pricing and she told me that that was more than she wanted to spend.

My question: You business mavens (snarkybaker, Indy, etc) might tell me to "sell" myself.

What do you do in this situation: Say "NEXT!" Or politely ask about the budget they had and see if anything can be done? Either way, this is about carving cake and making a 3D replica, so I'm thinking it can't be cheap because to make it look good is going to require some time and effort.

Am I being a bad business woman by letting it go....should I work harder to sell it, talking about how it's a work of edible art, etc... or do I just figure they will go to Wal Mart?

It's for a kid's party. Clearly not wedding occasion material. I wouldn't spend that kind of moola on a kid's birthday cake, either, but I'm trying to be a better business woman and not just take the easy road all the time.

3 replies
thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:11am
post #2 of 4

I always offer to do something within their budget. They may not get all of the bells and whistles they were wanting, but at least they can still get something.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:15am
post #3 of 4

Could you do a smaller version within her budget? Or was she wanting to spend like $50. I'd say no if it was $50.

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:34am
post #4 of 4

Ask what her budget is. You don't want to compromise your work but there may be a way to simplify your design, or make it smaller. But if it way different from your price you may just have to say, next.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%