Has Anyone Ever????

Decorating By hugs28 Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 7:31pm by hugs28

hugs28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hugs28 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:39am
post #1 of 24

I just got asked to do a full sheet cake, but in a cupcake theme. I started looking in the gallery, but did not find anything without doing a tiered cake.

Has anyone ever done a 1/2 sheet or a full sheet cake that was cupcake themed and can you send me a pic for an idea? I was thinking 2, 1/2 sheets instead of the full, but waiting to hear what she thinks about that idea. She loved the idea of a tiered cake, but not the price lol, so sheet cakes I guess will be the way to go with this one.

She also left the cake flavor and filling up to me, which stinks lol, but what would be a good combo for a 4 yr old?

TIA for any help given

23 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:46am
post #2 of 24

are you talking about a cupcake cake.. where the cupcakes make the cake design.. and then you ice all the cupcake like it was A cake.. and then decorate the theme you want..i may be totally off.. ha!

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:58am
post #3 of 24

well if u google and search you can find some really cute cupcake fabric patterns.. maybe you can make up a design off the pattern

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 6:09am
post #4 of 24

What is a cupcake themed cake? icon_confused.gif

hugs28 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 12:08pm
post #5 of 24

no not cupcakes, made into a cake, that would be great cause its easy lol.

What's a cupcake themed cake? A cake that might have a cupcake scene or something of that, just like any other type of cake theme?

prterrell Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 12:23pm
post #6 of 24

Sorry if I sound dense, but to me, cupcakes are just small individual cakes. I just don't get how they of themselves can be a decoration theme. I also cannot picture a cupcake theme. I am very intrigued and cannot wait to see your final cake!

hugs28 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 24

I have no idea either lol, If I can do a tiered cake, it would be easy, found lots of those, but this lady don't want to spend a few hundred on a tiered cake for 80 people lol, so I have to come up with something.

I just looked for coloring pictures, I am going to email to her and see what she thinks about doing a nice polka dot ontop of striped border that will go further up the cake, to take up some space and then one of the scenes I found as a coloring pic, only color it in of course. I think it would be cute. But trying to come up with something that will cover a good amount of a full sheet cake is hard lol. 1/4 sheet would be easy, even 1/2 sheet, but a full sheet, ugh lol. I will post the results when done. Its for Saturday, so it will be by then lol.

your not being dense lol, just curious like me icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:00pm
post #8 of 24

If she wants cupcake "theme" for 80 people, why not just do 80 cupcakes?

hugs28 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:01pm
post #9 of 24

too easy lol

she wants cupcakes done up as favors???? ugh, I gave her the idea for cookies instead icon_smile.gif

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:47pm
post #10 of 24

Can you do something like a Strawberry Shortcake type scene but the little girls have cupcake looking hats or like Cupcake smurf houses? Or is she wanting something like a cupcake pattern:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Womens-Frosted-Cupcake-Apron/3906099/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11950298

Like alliebear suggested?

That is tough... but I kinda have a question to go along with this:
Didn't I read a topic the other day that indydebi gave an example of how the price of going sheetcake versus tiered was no different in pricing?

hugs28 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:57pm
post #11 of 24

I am not going to charge someone $300 for a sheet cake when they can get one for $60. Tiered to me is a little different, yes its the same amount of cake, but more work etc.... I just think a bit different I guess, plus where I am its hard to get people to pay for a good cake.

I could do strawberry shortcake, however icon_sad.gif its for a boy icon_smile.gif but cute idea.

I found a couple of coloring pics that I can transfer onto the cake.

prterrell Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:16pm
post #12 of 24

Where can you get a sheet cake for $60? Wal-mart? The grocery store? Those places sell those cakes at a loss. Besides, that's like comparing Kraft singles to Brie.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:33pm
post #13 of 24

I know this is a tier cake, but ignore that part. Just look at the cupcakes that are done on the sides of the cake. Make up some of those, and add the sprinkles they have around them? http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.kellechu.com/images/gallery/CupcakeThemedBirthdayCake_2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.kellechu.com/gallery/4&usg=__XO3iYxZZ3TtpZ5HK3KyvMIMQHYg=&h=533&w=800&sz=45&hl=en&start=9&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=0gxfQpKg1wPJ7M:&tbnh=95&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcupcake%2Bthemed%2Bcake%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GGLL_enUS312US312%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Or maybe just pipe outlines of cupcakes all over the cake, or just one giant cupcake outlined with sprinkles aroud it, kinda like this one: http://www.etsy.com/storque/events/news-from-the-etsy-labs-511-cupcake-craft-night-3920/

iamelms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamelms Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:47pm
post #14 of 24

maybe you could cut a full sheetcake into the shape of a cupcake and decorate it as such?

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:54pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamelms

maybe you could cut a full sheetcake into the shape of a cupcake and decorate it as such?

Very good idea!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:13pm
post #16 of 24

Could you do a round instead of a sheet? Just go with the cupcake theme. You could pipe cupcake designs around the sides. Pipe extra frosting wherever a cupcake is. Put sprinkles on all of the extra frosting for the cupcakes. You might want to bake some of the batter as cupcakes and slice them in half to decorate the cake with.

I don't understand why everyone is having a hard time getting this. Cupcakes are all over kids stuff as a decoration theme, clothe, toys, fabrics. Google designs and go for it. As long as you don't use strawberry shortcake or pink, you'll be OK for a boy and a party.

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:13pm
post #17 of 24

I would find out if the birthday boy has any favorite things, such as soccer, baseball, bowling, etc. It would be easy & cute to make eyes, a smile, add stick arms & legs on each cupcake doing the birthday boy's favorite thing. Think of a scene from something like sponge bob, he's a sponge, he has a friend who's a star fish, etc., they are all just an "item" like a cupcake with human features added. The cupcakes playing soccer or a cupcake bowling for instance, would be quite easy to do and would fill up the area on a large sheet cake quickly.

hugs28 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:13pm
post #18 of 24

I kinda thought of that too, I guess I was just looking to see what others have done, if they have done icon_smile.gif

thanks for all the responses

hugs28 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:15pm
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfao

I would find out if the birthday boy has any favorite things, such as soccer, baseball, bowling, etc. It would be easy & cute to make eyes, a smile, add stick arms & legs to each cupcake doing the birthday boy's favorite thing. Think of a scene from something like sponge bob, he's a sponge, he has a friend who's a star fish, etc., they are all just an "item" like a cupcake with human features added. The cupcakes playing soccer or a cupcake bowling for instance, wpould be quite easy to do and would fill up the area on a large sheet cake quickly.

yes that is not a bad idea either, I am going to run it by her, the boy is 4. I will let you know what we wind up doing icon_smile.gif thanks all

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:18pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

I don't understand why everyone is having a hard time getting this. Cupcakes are all over kids stuff as a decoration theme, clothe, toys, fabrics. Google designs and go for it. As long as you don't use strawberry shortcake or pink, you'll be OK for a boy and a party.

Ok, in my defense... no one said this was for a BOY when I had made that suggestion. True, I shouldn't have assumed it was... but still. I understand the cupcake deco's... they have aprons, boots, and a variety of other stuff. I just thought something a little more 3D would be neat.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:18pm
post #21 of 24

You might go to cafepress dot com (it's a t-shirt shop) and do a search for "cupcake". You'll get lots of different cupcake designs - maybe one will inspire you and you can do a frozen buttercream transfer or a colorflow image for the top of the cake. Maybe make some mini cupcakes to put around the larger cake as the border???

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:47pm
post #22 of 24

My friend has some really cute cupcake wrapping paper and bags for her daughter's birthday yesterday.

http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS345US356&q=cupcake%20drawings&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

hugs28 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:07pm
post #23 of 24

I have emailed the lady with her options and waiting to hear back from her. I have a feeling it will be a no go, cause she told me she was on a small budget, but will see icon_smile.gif

hugs28 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:31pm
post #24 of 24

well dont think I will get that order lol, she wants me to do the sheet cake and 40 cupcakes or cookies for $160 tops. 50 adults and 30 kids. I told her bottom line price and she didn't like it. oh well icon_smile.gif

thanks for all the responses

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%