Sponge Cake Laced With Lemon Syrup

Decorating By MARIATAMIA Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 5:34pm by MARIATAMIA

MARIATAMIA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARIATAMIA Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 9

I recently went to a bridal expo where I sampled a sponge cake laced with lemon syrup. I wanted to try making a version of this cake. Do I put the lemon syrup into the batter or do I pour the lemon syrup over the cake once baked and cooled? Any suggestions. icon_confused.gif

8 replies
jojo76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo76 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 9

I made a cake like this last week, you pour the syrup over the cake when the cake is still warm. Mine had lemon juice stirred into a load of sugar, so it had a sugary crust on the top (was a tray bake, lunchbox type cake!). If you are using a syrup, you might want to make small holes with a tooth pick over the cake before you pour it on!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 9

Brush or pour the syrup onto the cake once it is baked.

Lemon simple syrup:
8 oz granulated cane sugar
pinch of kosher salt
4 oz water
4 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice (yes, it does make a difference!)
zest of 4 lemons
Mix all ingredients together in a small saucepan. Over medium heat, bring a mixture to a boil. Boil for *1* minute to insure that all the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in 1 tsp of lemon extract. Cool completely. Strain using a fine mesh sieve lined with cheesecloth to remove lemon zest, if desired. Store left over syrup in a tightly sealed glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. Also great in cocktails.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 9

Hey prterrell... can you use like Torani syrup and do the same, or is it too concentrate and strong? Wonder if you can dilute it.. hmmm.

TY for the recipe! icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 9

Darthburn, have not heard of Torani syrup before.
//runs off to Google "Torani"//
Oh, okay. Darthburn, I would say that having looked at the product online, you probably could use the Torani, assuming it is as thick as simple syrup. I, personally, prefer to make my own syrups (we make our own Grenadine and Pomagranate molasses, too), because then I can control the ingredients, AND I don't have bottles of all different stuffs in the pantry. That being said, if you have it on hand already, might as well use it.

Darthburn Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 9

<----------------- Has tons of bottles of Torani flavors in his pantry. icon_sad.gif

I would like to make my own stuff... really I would icon_smile.gif I actually think it might be too thin after seeing you mention its syrup consitancy.

Thank you!

prterrell Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 9

Darthburn, no reason to be icon_sad.gif!

I have way too little pantry space. Then, again, if I had a 10'x10' pantry, I'd probably still think I had too little! icon_lol.gif

You could try thickening up some of the Torani by simmering it to reduce the water content. Just try with a small amount, as it *could* have an adverse affect.

Darthburn Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 9

Oh that's a good idea too! I'm gonna try it.

I have no pantry... so I'm using my cabinets to store it all LoL... and believe me I don't have near enough space.

It started a few years back... I was buying these blended ice coffees from a drive thru coffee place and I asked for the recipe. They gave it to me and it included Torani. I found out Smart & Final carries it (it's just a wholesale grocery store that doesn't require membership... in case you don't have one to know what I'm describing). I get there and they have oodles of flavors. I impulsed and bought 1 of every flavor. Sigh. Most are still sitting there... unopened. So this caught my attention as an opportunity to use them. I have used them in icing before, but extract works better.

Well then... now you know the entire story... as if you wanted to here it, huh? LoL icon_smile.gif

MARIATAMIA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARIATAMIA Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:34pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you for the responses it so has helped me with this dilemma. Also thanks for the syrup recipe that's a great help. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%