Who Knew....?

Baking By Lcubed82 Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 7:23am by antonia74

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 15

So Google can be fun. After checking shortening vs butter, I looked up cookie baking tips.

Here's one:
If you flour a cookie sheet after it is greased, there will be less tendency for the cookies to thin out and spread too much during baking. A greased and floured sheet is also preferred for any dough containing chocolate chips (the chocolate which comes in contact with the sheet is less likely to stick and burn while baking).

What are your tips?

14 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 15

use parchment instead.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 15

yea i always use parchment, havent had much luck with anythign else.... but thats a good tip to save money/

My tip, (and I learned this some where on here) Is if your baking a cake to use wax paper on the bottom instead of parchment..... as long as its fully covered its fine, AND WAY CHEAPER!

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 12:22am
post #4 of 15

I use a cheap silicone mat, and it work so well!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 12:26am
post #5 of 15

Greased and floured cookie sheet? Can you imagine the burnt on mess that would create?

I use parchment sheets.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 12:54am
post #6 of 15

Same here parchment all the way! Makes your sheets last longer and quick clean up too!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:07am
post #7 of 15

Parchment's great, but it gets pricey if you're doing a lot of cookies!! I roll between 2 sheets of wax paper (waaaay cheaper than parchment) and bake on silicone mats.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:07am
post #8 of 15

Silpat for me. Those things are good for 3000 bakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:14am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

Greased and floured cookie sheet? Can you imagine the burnt on mess that would create?

Yeah! Definitely sounds like advice that comes from the "this is what my gramma always did!" column! icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjulie

Parchment's great, but it gets pricey if you're doing a lot of cookies!! I roll between 2 sheets of wax paper (waaaay cheaper than parchment) and bake on silicone mats.

I accidentally used wax paper once and what a MESS! The wax melted making the cookies a nasty tasting disaster. From that moment on, I've never understood how folks who use wax paper do it with success.

There is a DEFINITE difference between wax and parchment.

If you're using the wilton roll of parchment paper or any parchment paper roll that you buy in the grocery store .... yeah, that can get expensive. In my ever so never humble opinion, it's SO worth it though!. I would take the parchment and use the same sheet over. If it's not too messy, you can wipe it down with a damp paper towel, or just flip it over. It's not a one-time use.

I'm spoiled by having bought the 18x26 sheets of parchment (any restaurant supply shop). 1000 sheets for something like $60. Tear them in half to fit most home size baking sheets and it works out to about 3 cents per sheet. Not expensive at all. When I closed my shop, this was ONE supply that came home wiht me!!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:19am
post #10 of 15

Oh, I totally agree! I NEVER EVER bake cookies on the wax paper (works great for lining cake pans, though). I just use it for rolling the dough straight out of the mixer so that I dont have to bother with chilling first and all that mess. I trash it after that and ONLY bake on silpats icon_smile.gif

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:24am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

In my ever so never humble opinion, it's SO worth it though!. I would take the parchment and use the same sheet over. If it's not too messy, you can wipe it down with a damp paper towel, or just flip it over. It's not a one-time use.

I'm spoiled by having bought the 18x26 sheets of parchment (any restaurant supply shop). 1000 sheets for something like $60. Tear them in half to fit most home size baking sheets and it works out to about 3 cents per sheet. Not expensive at all. When I closed my shop, this was ONE supply that came home wiht me!!

Same here! When I closed my bakeshop, my big ole box of parchment came up to my home kitchen! And yup, just wipe down and reuse 'em!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:38am
post #12 of 15

I love the parchment from the restaurant supply...and mine packages some up into packs of 100 for like $3 or so, so I just get those. Half sheet size too!

I ran out though....gotta get more!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:36am
post #13 of 15

I fully agree with parchment. I have found some online, but they seem rather expensive. I need to locate a local restaurant supply and see what I can find.

Any other tips of any kind?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 6:07am
post #14 of 15

I buy standard half sheet sized sheets of parchment at CKSA for $3.70 for 50 (7.4 cents each). Considering for most cookies I can bake on a sheet 3-5 times before discarding, that makes it more like 1.8 cents per. When that means you can bake cookies all week and don't have to wash your cookie sheets over and over again, it is so worth it!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:23am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjulie

Skip a step and just roll/cut on your silicone mats. Freeze the whole thing, pop out the stiffened shapes and bake them on your mat too.

Saves throwing out all that parchment paper.

(I use Silpats....awesome!!) thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%