Royal Icing In Fridge

Baking By vickster Updated 24 Jan 2010 , 1:43am by Kandy4283

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:35am
post #1 of 10

How long is it okay to keep RI in the fridge. I know once you make flowers out of it, they have a pretty long shelf life.

9 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:40am
post #2 of 10

..moving to Recipe Tips & Ideas. icon_smile.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:34am
post #3 of 10

I've found that after three days, even with a prolonged rewhipping it just doesn't pipe the same anymore.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:44am
post #4 of 10

so if you make a batch of royal icing and have left overs, do you keep sealed room temp or refrigerate if planning on using in next day or two, what is best?

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 10:10am
post #5 of 10

My experience has been that icing made with meringue powder doesn't keep very well, a couple of days or so like prterrel said. Icing made with regular eggwhite has been fine after a week.

I store it by scraping into the corner of a regular plastic freezer bag, express all the surrounding air then tie firmly. Then you can snip off the bag corner, drop into a piping bag and off you go when ready to use.

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 10:12am
post #6 of 10

Oh, and I always store it in the fridge.

prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 10:25am
post #7 of 10

I store in the fridge as well. In a glass bowl that has an air-tight plastic lid, with a piece of damp papertowel laid over the bowl and under the lid.

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 10

so quick question on royal icing as well, does anyone have a tutorial on making pointsettas?

prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 10

No, sorry. But I can tell you that I use a jumbo leaf tip to pipe the green and the red (or white or pink or burgundy) leaves. For the yellow centers I use a small round tip. HTh!

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 1:43am
post #10 of 10

thanks so much! i did find a web site that i googled and it told me exactly what size of leaf tip (352) and thats what i was mostly wanting! Thanks again! They are made and drying!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%