Newborn Baby Fondant/gumpaste

Decorating By KATHIESKREATIONS Updated 24 Jan 2010 , 4:15am by DebbyJG

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 12

I just LOVE this baby & can't wait to get my mold. I have read several messages on CC about doing this & just need to clarify a few things, Which pink petal dust is used to color the baby...and when it says use gumpaste or 50/50 gumpaste & fondant, does anyone know what recipies are best to use for making this baby? I have never worked with gumpaste & only with rolled buttercream fondant, but I REALLY want to do this baby. Help, please? I did go to the post by Kassie11 & tried to contact her, but apparently she is no longer on CC. Thanks much~~~

11 replies
Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 12

go up to the tabs to articles and do a search for How to make a tiny gumpaste baby mold. You will find a tutorial. icon_smile.gif

loopilu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loopilu Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 12

I have made a few of these bubba's, I used sugarpaste on its own a few times, and modelling paste a few times, they all came out great. I used a pale pink dust, but play around, make your baby your own! icon_wink.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 12

I have also used straight gumpaste, and it worked for me I have never used the dust's though, because I was only playing with my mold. Don't forget to put the mold in the freezer, for a little while like 30 minutes.

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 12

icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for all your information. I do have the tutorial for making this baby. I just wanted someone else's opinion about what to use...all gumpaste or the 50/50 gumpaste & fondant. Do you make your own gumpaste & if so, how? ~~~~Kathie~~~

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 12

I used fondant with tylose added to it and it came out great! I just used the baby pink powder coloring and gold luster dust for the hair (both parents were blonde). One piece of advice is to make sure you ball of fondant that you put in the mold is crease free and really smooth. It will help get really clear details. Good luck!! These were so fun to make!

loopilu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loopilu Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 10:00am
post #7 of 12

yer I make my modelling paste by adding 1 teaspoon of gum trag/CMC to 500g of sugarpaste, needing it and leaving it 24 hours to firm up.

It mite be better to use that than just sugarpaste as it is firmer, and freezer is important, although dont touch baby when it comes out untill it drys, it gets a bit wet and dont want finger prints.

I agree with scionmum, try to get it as smooth as poss across the top of the mold or the baby wont lay properly on the cake.

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you for your advice about the babies. They are still backordered so I am still waiting on mine. Can't wait to play with it. Too bad I didn't see these before now as my Daughter-in-law is having a baby the end of Feb & there is a ahower for her in 2 weeks. Decorated cake & decorated cookies for it, but no fondant baby! icon_sad.gif Oh well, next time! icon_biggrin.gif ~~Kathie~~~

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:10pm
post #9 of 12

I ordered mine straight from First Impressions...were they backordered too? I thought they make them to order...

I'm going to have to get some of that pink dust. I used a light tan for the shadows and then a sort of orangy-pink for the cheeks and lips. But I think maybe mine turned out a bit dark.

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:29pm
post #10 of 12

I don't know if First Impressions baby mold was backordered...I was gettin mune from Global Sugar Art...I'll have to check. ~~~Kathie~~~

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 12

icon_surprised.gif OMG! I can't believe the typing errors my kepboard made! Sorry about that! icon_lol.gif

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 4:15am
post #12 of 12

I ordered the mold from this website, and it literally took TWO DAYS to ship. I just got it in the mail today and I placed the order on Wednesday night!
Check them out -- they require a $20 min order, but that's not hard because there are some really cute First Impressions molds. I got a set of snow flakes too. icon_smile.gif
I can't wait to use it -- I'm making up a batch of gumpaste tonight and I'll be makin' (gum paste) babies tomorrow! WOohoo!

ahcakedesign.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%