Covering A 3D Rice Krispie Treat Carving

Baking By adoptingmommy Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 5:18pm by sweetcakes

adoptingmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adoptingmommy Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 6

I'm going to be making a dragster race car for a 50th bday and have heard that I need to coat it in RI first and then buttercream. I'm looking for a good recipe/instructions for the RI and also carving of the car. HELP!!!

5 replies
deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 6

I use rice krispies for things on some cakes. I paint them with some piping gel, because its really sticky and then cover with fondant. I have tried icing under but it seems to move around to much for me. Good luck
Jeanne

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 6

Royal icing, buttercream, and then fondant? Or just royal icing and then buttercream? I've never heard of having to use royal icing on rkt. Piping gel does sound like a better idea. Seems like with all the icing you'd OD on sweet! lol

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 6

I would press the rkt's with a fondat smoother to compact them as much as I could and then ice in buttercream. There is no sense in using Royal Icing under buttercream as the "grease" will break it down and negate that particular step and therefore you have wasted time. I have used melted chocolate under the fondant and found that I liked it better. However, with all the curves and angles you may not get it as smooth as you would like it and your fondant may not be as smooth in places as you want. You may want to try it though. Good luck!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
evelyn

Lynette03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynette03 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 6

I have seen on TV that they use RI under the fondant to help keep structure, but I wouldn't suggest doing RI and buttercream. Probably one or the other icon_smile.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 6

a thin layer of buttercream then a layer of fondant, and then perhaps another laye of fondant after the first one has set up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%