Interior Decorator Cake

Decorating By AverageMom Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 12:47am by myluvkris

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:46am
post #1 of 6

The client is having a swap party for interior design/gently used household decor. She would like a cake that fits the theme. I have absolutely NO IDEAS. Help! Remember, I am still a beginner. My skills are limited, but I'm willing to try anything! Give me ideas....don't let me down!

5 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 6

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1209068

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1250003

I could not find much in the galleries or even google.

Does the cake have to be about interior design or about the swap itself? If about design in general, does the designer have a website? You could go look at some of her pics and maybe recreate one of her rooms that she has decorated.

I hope you get some better suggestions.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 6

How about a sofa or couch cake? They seem to be stacked rectangles, which doesn't seem to be too daunting. I just searched for "sofa or couch cake" and got pages of great pictures.
Good luck.

myKzooKid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myKzooKid Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 6

If you are looking for a straight interior design theme, how about making the cake be the tray that holds samples & swatches that a decorator might assemble to show a client. I'm thinking specifically the way Candace Olson displays her design on "Divine Design". You could decorate squares of fondant as wood, material, wallpaper, carpet, & tiles. You could model some vases and other decor items too. HTH.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks, guys! I think the idea is for the cake to reflect home decor in some way, but really it's been left up to me. Which makes me nuts.

myluvkris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myluvkris Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 12:47am
post #6 of 6

Hi! I actually just got my ba in interior design! Hopefully, I can give you a little of my insight to what i would like. You can ask the client if they have a favorite designer/architect. Then from there you could recreate one of their designs, i.e. the Barcelona chair from Mies van der Rohe. Also if the designer has a favorite style, such as Bauhaus modern or Louis XIV, then you could incorporate designs from that time period. Like replicating wall paper to cover a tier. I hope I've been helpful. Let me know if you need any help with time periods or design styles. icon_lol.gif

The idea of recreating the concept board (materials in the tray) was an excellent idea too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%