How The H@#@ Do I Make A

Decorating By lapazlady Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 11:31pm by lapazlady

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 4

decent looking purse handle. I've made several and each one is misshappen or breaks when handled (when I try to attach it to the purse). I've used MMF and tylose, I've tried gum paste and had the same problem. What the heck do I need to do. What am I doing wrong? Help, please.

3 replies
sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 4

I've never made one so I don't have the definitive answer. However, I've seen in the Planet Cake book that they use a narrow strip of clear, flexible (but stiff) plastic which is bent into shape and then the fondant/gumpaste is shaped over it. I guess it would give you more stability when you're moving it onto the cake.
HTH

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 4

The tubing they use in the Planet Cake book is aquarium tubing. You can get it at any pet shop that sells fis etc or even at Walmart. You cut the tubing to the length you require & insert a sewer or tooth pick (what ever fits) push about an inch up the tube at both ends. Place the tubed skewers in a styrafoam block in the shape & distance you require. Brush with piping gel. Cut a strip or 2 (depending on how many handles you need) of fondant & cover the tubing smooth the joins at the skewers with piping gel. Insert the finished handle into your purse using the ends of the skewers. Hope this helps.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you, Thank you. I knew there had to be a reasonable way to solve the problem. Tubing, how wonderfully simple. Again, Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%