Fondant

Decorating By Kim1612 Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 1:42am by catlharper

Kim1612 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim1612 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 5

Hi All
I'm just kinda new to cake decorating, and was wondering what is fondant?
is it hard to work with? If you don't want to ice a cake, is that when you would use fondant? What does it taste like?? Yes call me stupid. LOL

thanks
Kim

4 replies
ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 5

Fondant goes over a layer of icing... Taste varies widely by what brand you use, or if you make your own (stay AWAY from Wilton, it's gross!). I've actually not covered a whole cake with it since most people I know don't like the texture on a cake, but I love to use it for decorations. It's kind of like playing with Play-Doh!

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 5

Hi Kim ~ Check out the recipe section here. I know there are a few fondant recipes (so you can see what's in it). If you want to get started right away with it, I suggest purchasing Wilton white. It does NOT taste good, so I would only use it to practice rolling it out, coloring it, making figures, quilting on it, etc. JUST to get you familiar with it. Also do a search of forum topics on this site. There are many. I don't use fondant often; but last September I made the marshmallow fondant (MMF) recipe from this site. I made the one that uses the jar of marshamallow fluff. I used it for the ladybug cake in my photos and it was a joy to work with! Also, YouTube probably has a lot of visual tutorials that you can check out to get a better idea of what it is and how it's used. Like ThreeDGirlie said, a lot of people don't seem to like the texture of it (it's almost kind of "chewy"). However, when I made my ladybug cake almost EVERYONE ate it! So I hope this helps get you started & have fun! icon_smile.gif

Kim1612 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim1612 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:00am
post #4 of 5

thanks for the replies, it really does not look that good to eat..

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:42am
post #5 of 5

Kim,

When I started out I used the Wilton stuff...tastes like cardboard playdough..not good. Then I learned out to make MMF...marshmallow fondant (4 ingrediants, marshmallows, water, powdered sugar, flavoring) and it is wonderful! Now people ask for my fondant and even request any leftover on the cake plate! It is tons of fun to play with, to mould, make figures/flowers/etc. So give it a try...it doesn't cost much and is fun to work with. Basically the hardest part of using it is to remember to sift your powdered sugar so there are no lumps, use enough powdered sugar to make the dough feel like good bread or pizza dough and to let it rest covered in a thin coat of Crisco and wrapped well overnight. Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%