Ok Where Is The Camera.. What The Heck Is Going On?

Decorating By totallycaked Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 8:21am by totallycaked

totallycaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
totallycaked Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 8:10am
post #1 of 14

So, I read a thread about doing cakes in the take out boxes from Chinese resturants.. so I went to the suppy store got 50 boxes... thought these would be great and easy to bring to my charity meeting tomorrow night and to send to work with the hubby. My house started smelling weird and the plastic was melting on the boxes. I ruined a double batch of chocolate cake mix and a good pan... and all those boxes trashed...

soooo plan B make wasc cake and just throw on some frosting and be done with it... well the receipe is huge so I thought, ok a little cake for work, a bigger cake for the charity meeting and a lil cake for my friends birthday tomorrow.... every single one stuck and sunk... all ruined. I made a filling and frosting with no cake to fill or decorate.

Now what do I do with all of this mess of delish cake and three functions for tomorrow? Seriously, where is the camera? I must be on a joke show.. have I been punked?

13 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 8:48am
post #2 of 14

Cake Balls. icon_smile.gif

Baking in Chinese take out containers thread:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-665374-.html

HTH

totallycaked Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:01am
post #3 of 14

thank you jan... I am going to take my broken cake and put it into the boxes and then still piping out noodles... yeah its a win win.. and I wont be trying those boxes again to bake in only to use as display box with cupcake put in and decorated ... your the best thanks

JanH Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:28am
post #4 of 14

totallycaked, you're welcome. icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:22am
post #5 of 14

That's so strange. I've never had anything melt at all on the boxes when I've done these.

Jan, I looked at all your links about the takeout boxes. My question is, if a container is microwave safe for heating food to very high temperatures, why wouldn't it be oven safe, too?

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:35am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

My question is, if a container is microwave safe for heating food to very high temperatures, why wouldn't it be oven safe, too?

When you microwave food, you are very unlikely to actually heat the food above boiling (212 degrees), even with soup. When you put a container in a 350 degree oven, the container immediately comes in contact with 350 degree metal, which pretty efficiently transfers enough heat to melt your microwave safe container. You can put plastic wrap in the microwave, but I would strongly recommend against that experiment in the oven. icon_eek.gif

One exception to the general rule that the microwave doesn't heat food enough to melt plastic containers...if the food has a very high proportion of fat or sugar, it can get significantly above boiling quite rapidly.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:36am
post #7 of 14

Are you sure you got the PAPER boxes with the wax coating? You didn't by some chance get plastic ones did you? I have some plastic ones and paper ones I got from Michaels and they won't work at all.

JanH Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:38am
post #8 of 14

Ruth, I really don't know the science behind what makes one coating microwavable and another ovenable.

I only know that not all the containers were microwavable, and of those Chinese take out containers that were microwavable, NONE of them were listed as ovenable...

There were lots of containers offered (in different material/s) that were microwavable and/or ovenable but none were available in the style of the Chinese take out containers.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:04am
post #9 of 14

Yeah, that makes sense, although the cold batter offsets some of the heat of the oven until it cooks through so it's not immediately up to 350 degrees. I don't know the science, either, but admittedly there are plenty of things I put in the microwave that I can't put into the oven.

I'm still not sure what people are seeing that is melting on the boxes, though. I'm sure they must be using some other product than I've used. Either that or they're just baking them too long or too hot.

Anyway, totallycaked, I'm sorry it didn't work for you. : (

JanH Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:08am
post #10 of 14

Thanks for the science lesson, redpanda. icon_biggrin.gif

davespeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
davespeg Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:41am
post #11 of 14

Totallycaked..................it's the weather. We're shoveling snow up here in the desert icon_surprised.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:52am
post #12 of 14

You used the plastic decorative boxes - the ones that work for this are the wax coated paper ones used for actual Chinese takeout.

totallycaked Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 8:18am
post #13 of 14

Hi.. thanks for blaming my cake issues on the weather... we so cal kids are not use to rain and tornatos! In any case i am not sure why i didnt work. I went to the restruant supplies place that sell all the containers for the resraunts.. and got the chinese boxes I got the pint size and 50 of them came wrapped in plastic. They looked like they were cooking just fine and actually the cake was done but the smell was of burnt wax. I should have taken picture, it would have been easier to explain.... the bottom third was peeling. You can see little piece of wax curling and buckling up. It melted itself to my pan that i had them on. I had to peel them off I mean really peel them off and then there was paper still stuck. I had to let it soak for hours then used some scrubbing powder stuff and a steel wool pad and still on spots of the pan its like a sticky resido.... just wierd. These container were the food grade one not fun colored ones from the craft store... just didnt work for me...but now I have about 25 boxes to do something with.... thank you all for your help.... being a computer screen I can cry on! shawna

totallycaked Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 8:21am
post #14 of 14

shout out to my high desert peep davespeg...... Up the hill In Victorville WE use to like up there and I love it... great people!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%