Money!!!!

Decorating By Smashme Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 5:40am by Sagebrush

Smashme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smashme Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 8

There are so many new toys i want, where to start. I need to win the lottery, or at least sell some cakes icon_biggrin.gif ! I told my husband he needs to start telling the guys to chip in for cake supplies or the free cakes would stop!! lol just needed to put that out there anyone else feel like theres just not enough money in your pocket icon_surprised.gif

7 replies
frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 8

There is always something I want when I never have the money!!! LOL

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 8

I have a rule that I have to try every cake tool that I buy before I can buy another. That kind of cuts down on the cake stuff shopping, and that way I don't have tons of things that I've never used and don't remember that I own. icon_biggrin.gif

I haven't made a cake since November though and right now I'm starting to wish I had a good reason to make one. I've done cookies and cupcakes but no cakes...just don't want to waste the money when there's not a real cake occasion.

Smashme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smashme Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 8

that is a good rule to follow, but it dosen't really work for me. I don't have any cake shops close to me so if i order online i like to save on shipping. The other thing i do is save up for when i visit my family in san antonio. But at least then i have a set budget and know i can't go over so i just buy the things i really "need" lol.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 8

I generally do the birthday cakes at work, and the girls will pay me for the ingredients, if they want one of my cakes. They love testing different flavors, so they willingly pay me! That way I'm not out the cost of the ingredients. We've decided a flat rate of $15, since we are a small group and most of them don't bake - if they do, it's a straight box mix and canned frosting. That way I get to practice and they get to eat!

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:42am
post #6 of 8

I find that with every new skill I learn, I have to "equip" myself haha! Fondant required bead-makers, crimpers, molds, etc. Gumpaste required tools, cutters, etc. If I were still just making simple little BC cakes, I wouldn't have bought any new tools in years!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:54am
post #7 of 8

When I first started I would just buy what I needed for the cakes immediately coming up....that way you have enough each time. As I got more orders I was able to buy the bigger items like airbrush and etc. I still gradually collect things here and there but in general I still save buying cutters, stencils, molds, etc for an "as needed" basis although I did buy the baby mold because I can use that on various cakes.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:40am
post #8 of 8

I hear you. I'm pretty new to this, and I don't have anywhere local (other than JoAnn's Michael's and Hobby Lobby) to get cake supplies, so I can't just get one thing now and another thing in a little bit.

And the shipping costs for cake supplies are astronomical! It's so frustrating to pay half as much as you paid for the product in shipping alone... and NOT for particularly heavy stuff, either. So, with GSA's sales, I've been buying way too much... and then of course they are out of something I REALLY wanted, so I have to get that somewhere else, and there's a whole 'nuther set of shipping charges.

My poor pocketbook!

And I haven't even come close to feeling like I've got a good start on having what I'd like to have.

- Leisel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%