Mixer Recommendations---No Ka Please

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 9:59pm by Joyfull4444

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:03pm
post #31 of 39

Loud? It screams! There's a wall between our kitchen & LR & if I go into the LR to talk to dh we almost have to scream to hear each other ( & that's on speed 3 or 4). And I was going to say if Hobart still made KA then people better quit buying Hobart. And I totally believe Whirlpool makes them. Every Whirlpool appliance I've had is crap (not had a washer & dryer though)

ETA:
Do you think any of these non-commercial mixers would hold up to Sugarshack's bcream? A full bowl of thicker bc? I tried it in my KA & after that I made smaller recipe b/c it struggled like something terrible. I just don't see how some people are so lucky w/ newer KAs

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:10pm
post #32 of 39

I use my Bosch for cake batter all the time and never had a problem with it overbeating. I always use it on the lowest speed.

As for mixing bc - I always do a double batch (6 cups sugar, 2 lbs butter, 2 c shortening) and it never has any problem. In fact, it fills up the bowl and I end up with zero air bubbles - very smooth.

It does look a little strange, but it is super durable and very powerful.

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:22pm
post #33 of 39

Does anyone have a Sunbeam? It's not a commercial grade.....just for hobby bakers, or everyday home baking. I went from a hand mixer to a Sunbeam stand up mixer that I got for Christmas. Now I'm trying to figure out how I ever made it all these years with just a hand mixer!

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:36pm
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma

I have had my KA Artisan for 5 years and my PRO 600 for 4 and not had a problem with either. I even have a hand mixer by Kitchen Aid and they sent me a new beater when I called with a problem. Hobart makes Kitchen Aid if anyone is interested so it is funny that they don't make them to hold up like they used to.
evelyn

Hobart hasn't made KA for years. KA belongs to Whirlpool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlpool_Corporation

http://www.whirlpool.com/custserv/other_sites.jsp

I have an older 4qt KA that was made by Hobart that still works like a dream plus I bought myself a KA pro 600 a couple of years ago. The pro 600 was a total piece of junk! I got rid of the 600 and replaced it with a Viking and it works great!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 8:56pm
post #35 of 39

You guys know anything about Globe mixers? I found a 5 qt for $570, normally $1100. "Commercial" isn't part of the name until the 8 qt, but they're $1100 on sale.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:20pm
post #36 of 39

I have a Hobart built KA that I'm in love with and a Whirlpool KA that's ok. (I also do not care for Whirlpool products, I had a washing machine that's motor burned out in 5 months.)
I'd go for a Hobart or a Viking.

boricuagirl_wi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boricuagirl_wi Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:40pm
post #37 of 39

I have an cuisinart 7qts one of the best investment ever, i love it.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:43pm
post #38 of 39
Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:59pm
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

You guys know anything about Globe mixers? I found a 5 qt for $570, normally $1100. "Commercial" isn't part of the name until the 8 qt, but they're $1100 on sale.

I don't know much about Globe mixers but can say I've never seen a negative review on any Globe mixers on any of the appliance review sites I've visited.

You must have found your mixer on the Globe website, I found it myself just a while ago. It looks very sturdy
At least the mixer you're interested in looks to be made by Globe, plus it has the same name as the company, unlike other mixers that tend to be misleading that way.

Free shipping on that 5qt Globe too. I'd think it would be fairly heavy from the looks of it so free shipping would be a nice little bonus!

Good luck on what you decide!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%