What Is This On The Cake?

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 6:15pm by confectionsofahousewife

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:59am
post #1 of 14

I just took this (16 inch) cake out of the oven and it has a.... CROP CIRCLE... on it! What is that? I have never had this happen before. It doesn't really matter, its just weird!
LL

13 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:04am
post #2 of 14

Gheesh, thats weird! Almost looks like the oven element. Maybe you had it too close to it and it cooked there more?? Really strange!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:07am
post #3 of 14

Looks like oil, maybe?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:08am
post #4 of 14

It looks to me like the pan grease was melty and when you poured your batter in some rode up on the batter and formed that funny ring. Either that or your batter had a ring of oil around the bowl that wasn't mixed all the way and it in rode the batter while it was being poured in.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:17am
post #5 of 14

that IS strange!

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:21am
post #6 of 14

So...it's not a crop circle? icon_wink.gif

Did you pour batter into the pan at two different times? Like make and pour one batch, then mix up another and pour that in around it? It looks like a ring of cake release or whatever you use on your pans that got sandwiched between two separate pourings. ??? Or we could call Agent Mulder... (sorry...old X-Files fan here! icon_biggrin.gif )

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:24am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

It looks to me like the pan grease was melty and when you poured your batter in some rode up on the batter and formed that funny ring. Either that or your batter had a ring of oil around the bowl that wasn't mixed all the way and it in rode the batter while it was being poured in.

This is my thought too.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:31am
post #8 of 14

I still think its a crop circle icon_wink.gif

It is two batches of batter but they were poured into the pan at the same time. I greased the pans with crisco but the flower nails are sprayed with bake easy (or whatever its called). Perhaps I got overzealous when spraying them. I am just surprised that it made a circle like that.
And its making the cake crack around that circle. Yikes. Hopefully I can still use it.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:33am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

This is my thought too.

Ditto.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:49am
post #10 of 14

OK it happened again. This time it was an 8inch pan with no flower nail. Pan was greased with crisco but shouldnt have been melty. I think the batter was well mixed. Weird.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:54am
post #11 of 14

Cake circles icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:00am
post #12 of 14

They're nothing to worry about.

It's when they start resembling dead celebrities that you need to start worrying. icon_biggrin.gif

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 5:39am
post #13 of 14

This same thing happened to me about 2 months ago in a 9 x 13 it was weird. It never haopened before and it hasn't happened again. I too was baffled by it.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:15pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityCakes

Cake circles icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Exactly! I guess there are aliens in my oven icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%