Buttercream Filling In A Half Ball Cake

Decorating By CakeyKerry Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 1:50am by all4cake

CakeyKerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeyKerry Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:36am
post #1 of 2

Hi, I wonder if someone could help me with something. I'm making a cake that uses 2 x 5" half ball cakes and I want to have a buttercream filling but don't want to cut them in half to do this (as I find that I sometimes get bulging and I really need for them to be really smooth) as I'm covering them in fondant. Is there another way that I can get the filling in there... Preferably without having to resort to magic... Or osmosis, I haven't really mastered those yet icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

1 reply
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:50am
post #2 of 2

Take plugs of cake out and replace with buttercreamusing a bag fitted with a 5-12 tip, depending on the size of the cake plugs you remove(just be careful not to fill them too fast, a blowout can occur)...just make sure you don't have too many plugs, they're not too close together, and they don't go too deep(get too near what will be the surface).I recommend core, and fill one plug at a time so that it doesn't collapse or get distorted. I would do them from the flat side and straight(which means that the plugs would be various depths...the one(s) at/near center would be deep than those nearer to the outer edge)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%