When Did You Start Your Business? How Much Experience?

Business By CarrieBear Updated 30 Jan 2010 , 6:45am by thecookieladycc

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:27am
post #31 of 46

I began decorating cakes along side my mother at the age of 10, both my mother and I are ambidextrous so we could pipe with both our right and left hands making it easier to get cakes done (when they were all butter cream and no one had heard of fondant) My mother recently developed Rheumatoid Arthritis and had to stop decorating cakes. I decided not to let the family tradition die so I took over the decorating, I had all of her recipes and plenty of years of experience and a degree in e-commerce which helped our business grow in this new age of technology. Now mom assists me with fondant when she can, and my son who will be 10 in May is beginning to learn the craft as well. I only hope that when my children are older they will keep up the family businesses and one day I can be assisting them. For now my two year old thinks fondant is play dough that she can eat and my sons friends just like being guinea pigs for new recipes.

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:44am
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Mexicano

Hey Carriebear
I started my business a little less than 2 years ago. I just turned 16 last month so Ive been in business for almost 2 years. Ive been interested in cakes for as long as I could remember, and Ive probably been doing cakes pro or nice cakes for maybe 3-4 years. So I dont think there is an age where you should or shouldnt start a business. I think as long as you have the ability to produce beautiful well done cakes you could have a business IF you have what it takes. Most people have to worry about licensing and all the legal things. I didnt because I am Native American and live on a reservation so the rules here are drastically different, so it was very easy for me to start a business. But you have to really love it and be very committed because it is incredibly stressful BUT really rewarding.
Mark Mexicano
Good luck your cakes are gorgeous

Woow you are only 16 and now what you want..good for you, I wish you great success...do you have any pics?
Anna

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:20am
post #33 of 46

For those of you who wonder if you can raise your children and do cakes later..... I am 56 and building my kitchen/starting my business now.

Though I have been baking and cooking for over 30 years and did a cake once in a while over the years, without any idea of what I was doing, my first official cake(where I researched everything I could find) was in 2004-- a wedding cake as a gift for a friend and I was hooked. I took classes and then went to pastry school in 2007-8, did a couple of internships and have continued taking classes when possible.

As some others before me have said, the baking and decorating are the least of it. I have had to learn about real estate, zoning, marketing, accounting, health codes, food safety, taxes, etc. before even starting on things like buying ingredients wholesale.

Doing cakes commercially even one at a time, by special order, is different from doing it as a hobby--the overhead is amazing! Even though a home business is less expensive than my buying a location, a legal home business is expensive. If you know this is a lifetime goal, but you want to wait 18 years, so much the better as you can start saving and learning now. And you can start a business plan. Doesn't mean you can't change it over the years, but get your ducks lined up.

By the way, having paid an amazing amount for pastry school. I now advocate taking classes at your local community college instead. The cost is usually very low and the education is usually very good. If you have years to dedicate to the idea, you can one class every so often in food or in business and in some number of years you will know a lot!

Sorry to write a novel. Hope at least some of it helps.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:49am
post #34 of 46

Wow it's wonderful to see how many of us "old gals" realized our dream and made it happen at an older age.

I think that's awesome and an inspiration to the younger generation who may feel like it's now or never for them.

Patience is a virtue for sure.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:50am
post #35 of 46

this is an excellent thread, very informative.. I have been baking for 20 years (since I was 15) i made my first decorated cake to prepare to bake my grandmothers birthday cake in 2006. I never was interested in decorating before that. I am currently in the pastry program at my local community college

I WISH we had more classes related to the business part of being a chef because chefs don't only cook, they do it all!! at least thats what we were told on the first day of school LOL

like someone said, you need to learn a lil bit about everything.. PLUS when you have your own biz, it's not like oh you can b your own boss and work when ever u feel like it.. one of the students at my school (it was her first semester) said "I can't stand waking up early in the morning. I can't wait to have my own business so I don't have to.." I must have looked like she pulled out a gun. then she as if I got up early.. i said do u mean to ask if I wake up early after I have gone to bed late becasue I had a deadline for a cake? I have gone to bed at 3 and got up at 6 becasue I was afraid I wouldnt be done!!!

i just have a commercial kitchen available to use, but my weekends are my "work days" so my children suffer sometimes.. they are 14, 9 and 7.. on my light weekends, I try to make sure we are doing something funnish so they don't have to deal with me working ALL the time..

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:51am
post #36 of 46

Re: classes...I took classes to learn how to do more advanced flowers in GP, plus several chocolate courses. I also agrre with the poster above who said to attend a local community college - you will get LOTS of hands-on practice and also invaluable knowledge about your local area, the competition, what kind of cakes people want, the different products out there, and much much more!

I also have an extensive library at home and am a member of a Cake Dec Association which has a library of books to borrow for free.

I learned a LOT of business nouse from my family (raised in family business, set my own first business up at the age of 21 - a cafe/catering operation), and accounting advice from my accountant AND family members who are accountant.

I learned from demonstrations by experienced cake decorators in my area, from DVDs on cake decorating, and last but definitely not least right here on CC.

Its accumulative and thats even BEFORE you decide to set up shop.

I still have a lot to learn, I know. Like I said in an earlier post, especially learning how to say "no" to orders and how to juggle kids, work, husband, cooking meals, shopping, and attending to medical appointments. Let alone having a social life - haha!

This has been a great thread for hearing how others have come to the exact same place in their life as me...to the OP - there is SO much you can be doing before you begin your enterprise once you have your kids. Make contacts, develop networks and learn as much as you can. If you keep the passion burning to create cakes, when the time comes you will be in such a good place to begin!

I wish you all the best with your family plans and your business developing in the fullness of time icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:56am
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Applegum, that is an excellent post and so on target!! It should live forever as a classic.

To the OP, I was 48 before I opened my own shop, after close to 30 years of making cakes.

Opening a cake business is more about business than it is about cakes. It doesn't matter how talented you are in the cake making world .... if you don't know how to run a business, then don't open one.

I agree, great post, Applegum! And Indydeb is right....I have seen some really talented cake artists go under because they had no clue on how to run a business.

Speaking which, business is boommmmming for me, so I don't have time to post here any more!

But seriously, do walk before you run. It only looks easy on Television

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:50pm
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsacake

For those of you who wonder if you can raise your children and do cakes later..... I am 56 and building my kitchen/starting my business now.

Though I have been baking and cooking for over 30 years and did a cake once in a while over the years, without any idea of what I was doing, my first official cake(where I researched everything I could find) was in 2004-- a wedding cake as a gift for a friend and I was hooked. I took classes and then went to pastry school in 2007-8, did a couple of internships and have continued taking classes when possible.

As some others before me have said, the baking and decorating are the least of it. I have had to learn about real estate, zoning, marketing, accounting, health codes, food safety, taxes, etc. before even starting on things like buying ingredients wholesale.

Doing cakes commercially even one at a time, by special order, is different from doing it as a hobby--the overhead is amazing! Even though a home business is less expensive than my buying a location, a legal home business is expensive. If you know this is a lifetime goal, but you want to wait 18 years, so much the better as you can start saving and learning now. And you can start a business plan. Doesn't mean you can't change it over the years, but get your ducks lined up.

By the way, having paid an amazing amount for pastry school. I now advocate taking classes at your local community college instead. The cost is usually very low and the education is usually very good. If you have years to dedicate to the idea, you can one class every so often in food or in business and in some number of years you will know a lot!

Sorry to write a novel. Hope at least some of it helps.

thank you for this wonderful post! very helpful

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:38pm
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Wow it's wonderful to see how many of us "old gals" realized our dream and made it happen at an older age.

I think that's awesome and an inspiration to the younger generation who may feel like it's now or never for them.

Patience is a virtue for sure.

This is exactly what I noticed from this thread...the time for me to start a business is NOT now. I think is really IS an inspiration that you all have had the guts to give up your "day job" to follow your passion later in life. As much as I'd love to start now, the timing just isn't right. I don't want to have to sacrifice my kid's childhood for something that isn't necessary.

It seems like a natural progression of things...when you're a mother, you focus so much on others that you kind of forget what it is that you enjoy. Once they're older, you realize that you're sitll a person and can pursue the things you love...like caking!

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 10:29pm
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

It only looks easy on Television

isnt that the truth...

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 5:04am
post #41 of 46

i'm 52, opened my place 8 years ago after working at other bakeries for a few years...i don't have "kids"...i have "adults".

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:45am
post #42 of 46

Mark

I saw your website. Your cakes are unique. Keep up the good work. You are talented.

Mark-Mexicano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mark-Mexicano Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:05pm
post #43 of 46

Thanks Cpacakes

thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 6:55pm
post #44 of 46

I really like all of them cake shows that are on the tv and told myself that I can make those kinds of cakes. I use all store brand store bought stuff so its super cheap. Plus I make sure that I pick off all the cat hair and make my kids wash their hands before sticking it in the frosting.

ok ok ok.... just kidding

I have been in the kitchen for as long as I can remember, and I have always had a passion for art. I discovered that I was pretty good at making cakes, and when people started offering to pay me to make them a cake, a light bulb went on in my head. Hey I like to do this, people will pay me (so I must not suck that bad), I can and WANT to make a career out of this. While I am self taught, I have done a lot of research, and reading, homework, and trial and error. I am now fully licensed and insured and am working on my business plan so I can get my store front, right now I'm just renting a kitchen. I'm 29, married with 2 kids (4 & 5). It is hard right now, but I know that it will be worth it in the long run.
p.s. I don't own a cat icon_wink.gif

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:27am
post #45 of 46

Cookielady - your post cracked me up!
I really like all of them cake shows that are on the tv and told myself that I can make those kinds of cakes. I use all store brand store bought stuff so its super cheap. Plus I make sure that I pick off all the cat hair and make my kids wash their hands before sticking it in the frosting.

Honestly, my first thought was - why does this person have to be in CO - I don't know anyone that talks like this that lives here. LOL

This has been a very informative post! I was recently laid off from a job that I loved, and am now trying to "find myself". I enjoy cake decorating - know that I have SO MUCH more to learn, and definitely not just on the cake side, but on the business side as well. I'm in NO way shape or form ready to start my own business, but the idea is there for a someday moment.... Thanks to all of you wise people out there for sharing your experiences!

thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:45am
post #46 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by keriskreations

Honestly, my first thought was - why does this person have to be in CO - I don't know anyone that talks like this that lives here. LOL

I know... I don't us Coloradans even have an accent. It's nice to pretend thought!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%