Is This A Good Price For A Used Hobart?

Business By HeidiCrumbs Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 12:28am by Denise

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 7

Hi-

An 83 year old lady just called me because she heard I opened a bakery, and wants to sell me her 12 qt Hobart mixer. She bought it refurbished but bought all new paddles and whip parts. She is asking $900. What do you think? They seem to be more than that used online, what questions should I ask her? Going tomorrow morning to look at it.

Thanks!
Heidi.

6 replies
giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 7

Not bad
When I was shopping for one (in Canada) I was told they roughly go for $100 a quart used. But that is also from a dealer refurbished and a warranty.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 7

Try and do a completed listings on Ebay..Essentially what that is type in exactly what you are looking for in the search bar..On the lefthand side is lots of tabs and one is completed listings..click on this tab and it will tell you what that same item has sold for in the past.Hobart 12 quart mixer....and see what comes up!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 7

I paid $1500 for a used Hobart 20 qt. I didn't et a particularly good deal, but it was the only one available used and I needed one so . . . I think $900 is a wee bit high, but there's probably some negotiating room in there.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 7

Leah... how old was your mixer? $1500 sounds like a decent deal to me, unless it was 30 years old, since they go for around $5K new.

A new 12qt Hobart goes for $4k, so I'd say $900 ain't too shabby depending on how old it is. BUT... if you don't need the extra 2 qts and you aren't stuck on getting a Hobart, you can get a new with warranty 10qt mixer for not much more. The restaurant supply store up the road has a Anvil 10qt for $1100.00 brand new. Might be worth looking into?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 7

when we were searching for a used Hobart, refurbished, the restuarant supply store where we got all our other stuff, was offering 20 quart for $1200 and they would give us a warranty on it so $900 sounds a little high since you have no idea of its history and I am assuming no warranty.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:28am
post #7 of 7

I think that sounds a little high for a 12 qt unless it is pretty darn new but if you have a bakery 12 qt is probably too small! I was lucky, I got my 20 qt for $600 and had to get a bowl. A friend bought a 20 qt that needed just a little work for $500. The work on it was $600 - but they redid all the bushings and windings and literally a total refurb so for $1,100 she has a practically brand new machine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%