Bacon Cupcakes

Baking By Kitcake Updated 13 Feb 2010 , 3:02pm by mommicakes

Kitcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitcake Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:57am
post #1 of 30

I was watching Unwrapped last night and saw a bakery, I don't remember where, that sells bacon cupcakes. I was intrigued. I baked some up today and OMG!!!! They are wonderful. White cake, dark ganache frosting, and a sprinkling of super crunchy little pieces of bacon. That salty wonderfulness with the chocolate is heaven! I know it sounds strange but give it a try YUMMY! thumbs_up.gif

29 replies
ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:20am
post #2 of 30

It sounds like a strange combination, but my kids like to dip their bacon in pancake syrup. We all love chocolate and bacon. I'm gonna give them a try !

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:21am
post #3 of 30

That sounds interesting and kind of scary at the same time. I think I will try them! icon_smile.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:22am
post #4 of 30

Kind of like pretzels and chocolate, or chips in chocolate - the sweet and salty thing is in!

JanJess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanJess Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:27am
post #5 of 30

Do you just sprinkle the bacon bits on top or put some in the cake mix?
TIA

Kitcake Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:48am
post #6 of 30

I just sprinkled them on top but next time I might experiment with putting them in the batter.

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:50am
post #7 of 30

If memory serves, there was maple syrup in the cupcake batter, wasn't there?

Kitcake Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:59am
post #8 of 30

YES!!!! I knew I forgot something! Oooooohhhhh that's so going in the next batch icon_lol.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:15am
post #9 of 30

Maple bacon doughnut from VooDoo Doughnuts in Seattle, Washington:

http://www.baconunwrapped.com/2007/10/maple-bacon-doughnut.html

VooDoo Doughnut Shop:

http://voodoodoughnut.com/

HTH

bubblecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblecakes Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:41am
post #10 of 30

I've actually seen (and tried) a bar of good quality dark chocolate with rocksalt through it. YUM! Sweet and salty is awesome.

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:02am
post #11 of 30

Were you thinking about Retro Bakery in Vegas? I've had theirs and it is yummy. Maple buttercream and bacon in the cupcake as well. I also made bacon caramels this Christmas. Those are my new favorite candy. Everyone I gave them to just loved them.

Smallfrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smallfrye Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:03am
post #12 of 30

Here is the link to the story that was done on some in Seattle
http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-092309-baconcupcakes,0,6476523.story

They put whiskey in the batter icon_smile.gif
Sounds good but I have not been up there to try them yet

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 1:25am
post #13 of 30

I made bacon toffee this year for x-mas and it was a hit. I'll be making it every year from now on. I found most people were very curious/skeptical to try. Although there first words were 'YUM".

Suzie757 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzie757 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 1:39am
post #14 of 30

I have been wanting to try this for awhile also!! Would you all be willing to share recipes for the candies as well? I understand if they're are a secret icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 1:57am
post #15 of 30

they sold chocolate dipped bacon strips at our state fair this year for the first time..didn,t buy it.. but i think i would like it. said i was going to make some at home.. but then i forgot. this brought back the fair..ha! i think it was like $4.00 a strip..

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:15am
post #16 of 30

VooDoo lounge is actually in Portland. I LOVE LOVE LOVE their bacon maple doughnuts. It's just a regular maple glazed longhorn with a THICK AND CRISPY piece of bacon. The key is the thick and crispy bacon if you can't tell by the bold letters. They have some weird doughnuts. One is called the Zit. That's the one my son likes. It's a stuffed doughnut with cream and raspberry filling. They are in weird locations and are very eclectic.
I got chocolate covered bacon last week at a candy store. Hated it! It was made with thin bacon, so it was soggy.

JoyRide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoyRide Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:46pm
post #17 of 30

I was watching "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" on FN a couple of nights ago and yeah, would definitely try a maple/bacon cupcake. The doughnut they featured looked like it was the bomb! lol

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:11pm
post #18 of 30

I make pancake muffins with bacon and/or sauage in them. It's freakin' awesome dude!!! Obviously the muffins themselves are buttermilk maple flavored, and it just seems 'right' to add the meat. icon_smile.gif They were a big hit at my bakery!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:49pm
post #19 of 30

Here's a pic from the folks who were on FoodNetwork

http://www.joyengine.com/people/tee-cakes-bacon-cupcakes/

Here's their website

http://www.teeandcakes.com/

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 4:07pm
post #20 of 30

Bacon cupcakes seem to be one of those up-and-coming flavors. The Chokylit cupcake blog has a couple recipes for bacon cupcakes:

http://cupcakeblog.com/index.php?s=bacon&submit=Search

Someone mentioned the salt in a chocolate bar - if you like the sweet/salty combination like I do, try the Chocolove chocolate bar - almond and sea salt flavor. It's AMAZING! The delicious dark (but not TOO dark) chocolate and almonds with the little smack of salt at the end is one of the most addictive things I've eaten. You can find them at World Market and some grocery stores.

kikibakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikibakes Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:54pm
post #21 of 30

Very interesting! Will have to try this! icon_smile.gif

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:42am
post #22 of 30

Ooh, I had chocolate-covered bacon at Whole Foods last year and LOVED it!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:43pm
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

VooDoo lounge is actually in Portland. I LOVE LOVE LOVE their bacon maple doughnuts. It's just a regular maple glazed longhorn with a THICK AND CRISPY piece of bacon. The key is the thick and crispy bacon if you can't tell by the bold letters. They have some weird doughnuts. One is called the Zit. That's the one my son likes. It's a stuffed doughnut with cream and raspberry filling. They are in weird locations and are very eclectic.
I got chocolate covered bacon last week at a candy store. Hated it! It was made with thin bacon, so it was soggy.

Okay, I LOVE doughnuts and I LOVE the ones with the cream and fruit fillings in them, but if I saw a sign that said "Zit" near it, there is no way my stomach could handle eating one......that's so gross!

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:23pm
post #24 of 30

Cake balls! What about a white cake ball (could even add a little maple syrup as a binder???) with dark choc covering-rolled in a little bit of---bacon! Sounds good to me-think I'll try it tonight!

Melvira Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:50pm
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianocat

Cake balls! What about a white cake ball (could even add a little maple syrup as a binder???) with dark choc covering-rolled in a little bit of---bacon! Sounds good to me-think I'll try it tonight!

Num num num!! Let us know how much you like it!!

You know, I made some maple cupcakes with maple chips in them, filled with maple bettercreme (P.S. if you stop right here they are already AMAZING!) then dipped in ganache and topped with a sprinkle of crispy bacon. They were awesome! They raised eyebrows of course because out here in the middle of nowhere people don't know about a lot of these fancy combos that are popular in big cities. I sent the 'leftovers' to my hubbies office the next day and people were confused but once they tasted them they thought they were great. But, one person commented that you really couldn't taste the bacon. I don't know why, but it irked me that I couldn't tell her that I *knew* that, and that was part of the beauty of it. Do you guys ever get kind of... I guess 'defensive' would be the word... when you're not there to point out that what they are 'noticing' is exactly what was meant. I have no idea why, but I feel like they are telling me that I did something wrong and I just want to say, "I meant to do that!!" Isn't that silly? thumbsdown.gif Am I really that insecure?? Sheesh! icon_rolleyes.gif It would be like if I sent chocolate mint cupcakes and someone said, "I love the chocolate cupcakes, but they kind of had a mint taste to them." Um, yah...cuz I put MINT in them! I don't know why but that makes me feel like I'm being chastised. Goofy, I know.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 4:56pm
post #26 of 30

whenever someone says something like that, I lean over and say "I know, isn't it brilliant??"

Then they get the point that I MEANT to do it........and that they look like the oddball pointing out the obvious lol

Melvira Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:45pm
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

whenever someone says something like that, I lean over and say "I know, isn't it brilliant??"

Then they get the point that I MEANT to do it........and that they look like the oddball pointing out the obvious lol

HAHAHA!!! EX-ACTLY!!! But I just go nuts when I'm not there to do that! icon_cry.gif I am so goofy! It's like I'm afraid if someone doesn't 'get it' it will reflect badly on me?!?! icon_confused.gif Noooo... I'm not high maintenance AT ALL!

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 6:27pm
post #28 of 30

Yea I guess sometimes the obvious isn't so OBVIOUS to some people!! That drives me nuts too - you're not alone! icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 6:32pm
post #29 of 30

Thank goodness!! Sometimes I think "Come on Mel, get over yourself!" but then I realize I'm entitled to have feelings, right? Hahaha. There is just this weird level of insecurity in me... it's tucked back in a corner and the weirdest things will trigger it. Like if someone doesn't like a particular flavor, it doesn't mean they don't like my cake... they just don't like that flavor! But sometimes I get all paranoid... KWIM? icon_rolleyes.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:02pm
post #30 of 30

I am hosting a "Turkey Bacon" party next weekend,(long story) and I am definitly going to serve some of these yummy bacon cupcakes. icon_lol.gif

Thanks for sharing your info about such ways to make them. I will post some pics once the party is finished.

Thanks for the ideas!!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%