Ideas For A Cookie Class

Baking By chelleb1974 Updated 14 Jan 2010 , 1:24am by Sagebrush

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I am contemplating teaching a cookie decorating class at one of our ICES Days of Sharing.

I am posting this to get ideas of what kinds of stuff people would expect to learn in such a class.

Thank you all for your help!!!

~Michelle
Treasurer, MassICES

4 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 5

oh - sounds like fun!

I was first thinking that I would think about whether the class would be more geared to the beginner or more advances, but seeing that it's a day of sharing, you'll probably have a pretty even mixture, right?

So,... maybe focus on a particular theme and the different ways you can decorate cookies for that theme...? Or a particular shape and the different ways that one shape can be decorated...?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 12:25am
post #3 of 5

The cookie class I teach I modeled after Autumn Carpenter's cookie decorating class (I took it at an ICES mini classes a few years ago). We pack a LOT into three hours! icon_biggrin.gif

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 12:36am
post #4 of 5

Bonnie -

Yes, I expect there to be a mix of beginner to advanced. I like your idea of a theme for the class. I am thinking of doing the class in March, so maybe an Easter or spring themed cookie class icon_smile.gif

Bob -

I saw her do a demo at Great American Cake Show and she was great!

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:24am
post #5 of 5

Are you gearing this towards beginners or intermediates?

For either, I would share your cookie recipe, any tips you use in making it (for instance, even though the NFSC recipe calls for 6 cups of flour, you usually need a little less than that... and show them the consistency of dough they are trying to achieve; and Antonia's suggestion for freezing the cutouts before popping them out and transferring them to bake, along with the change in cooking time/temp), as well as the icing recipe.

Then, I would think mostly you would just gear the project to the level of experience and any extra techniques you want to teach. Beginners might need more help with the basics, like making the icing line fall from the tip. There are lots of options for techniques for the more advanced student... just pick one or a few (depending on the time you have and # of students you expect).

- Leisel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%