Considering Attending/entering That Takes The Cake...

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 14 Feb 2010 , 8:38pm by Mom0971

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 8

I am somewhat new to cake decorating but really like and am definitely improving my skills. I am interested in attending the "that takes the cake"
show in Austin TX in february but wanted to get some feedback from other cake people. I am somewhat apprehensive to even go, let alone enter in a competition. I presume I would enter the adult beginner category. I wouldn't know anyone there and it just seems weird but yet I feel like I would like to try to compete. Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions or words of encouragement for a first-timer??? Thanks!!

7 replies
newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 8

I completely understand where you're coming from. I've said for the last two years I was going to enter...but still haven't! Maybe this will finally be the year. If you're not sure about entering, then just go to the show strictly for fun. It's amazing to see all the cakes and the various levels from kids to expert adults. There are also demonstrations and classes available if you're interested in that type of thing.

I say definitely go and enjoy the show this year and enter next year if that's more comfortable for you. You'll have a better idea of what types of things people enter and maybe you'll be ready to go for it next year. The first year I went I didn't know anyone (hubby and I went) and we had a ball. He enjoyed it as much as I did.

Take shopping money! Last year there were lots of really good vendors.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for your input. I would love it if my husband would go. Not sure if he would or not! I was thinking of just going for fun because I do want to see all the cakes and am definitely interested in demonstrations and classes. My husband thinks I should enter a cake but I'm just not sure.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 8

That sounds so fun! I wish I could go to shows and workshops - I wouldn't even care about competing - just having fun and learning something!

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 8

I so understand how you feel! I have been thinking it over for a couple of months now and am still undecided. I have been doing this less than a year also and am really nervous about it. I make up my mind that I want to do it when I have a finished cake in front of me and then i start a new project and in the middle (ya kno when you get that stuck point or something goes wrong) and change my mind and doubt myself. I will definately at least go and enjoy the other entries even if I dont. My first cake show was in Tulsa last year and it was amazing!
So, I say go and only you can make your mind up of whether you want to enter or not!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 8

I recommend entering. I learn so much more when making a cake for competition that just doing a cake for someone else. I love getting the feedback too. It really helps me learn.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:51am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by scionmom

I so understand how you feel! I have been thinking it over for a couple of months now and am still undecided. I have been doing this less than a year also and am really nervous about it. I make up my mind that I want to do it when I have a finished cake in front of me and then i start a new project and in the middle (ya kno when you get that stuck point or something goes wrong) and change my mind and doubt myself. I will definately at least go and enjoy the other entries even if I dont. My first cake show was in Tulsa last year and it was amazing!
So, I say go and only you can make your mind up of whether you want to enter or not!

Yes, scionmom, this is exactly how I feel! So glad I am not the only one. I even feel weird going by myself. I definitely want to go to the Tulsa show this year, as it is closer to where I live. But its not for a long time and would like to experience one sooner!

For any of you who have done them before and entered a cake, how do you travel with it?? I dont' live in Texas and would have to travel.

Mom0971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom0971 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 8

I was thinking about going to this too. I do live in Texas so for me this is practically in my backyard. lol I live just south of Austin in Schertz so it is about a 30-45 min drive. I am thinking about only entering the tasting competition and not the decorating one. My skills are still pretty rudamentary and well I don't want to get blown out of the water. Everyone who has had my cakes loves them but when I put one of mine next to someone elses I feel like a little kid did it. Does that make sense to y'all? So has anyone just entered the tasting part of a cake contest? Any comments or suggestions would be gladly appreciated. If anyone from here goes I would love to say hi to y'all.
Happy baking!
Shelley

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%