Belly Cake?

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 14 Jan 2010 , 3:25pm by cakebaker1957

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 20

Hi , I was asked to do a belly cake for a shower this month the only pan i have is the ball pan, not the soccer pan, can this be used? and what would i make the boobs out of, i thought cupcakes , And she wants it all buttercream, I thought i would star it in and use fondant pieces, Any ideals on what pan i could use would be of great help , and would it look ok in BC? i thought i would lay it on top of a sheet cake she needs to serve around 30. I also have a large mixing bowl from pampered chef . Thanks everyone

19 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:22am
post #2 of 20

do you have a large stainless steel or oven-proof bowl you can bake in?

cakebaker1957 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

do you have a large stainless steel or oven-proof bowl you can bake in?

Yes i have one from Pamperd Chef, thats oven proof , What size could i use for the boob's could i use cupcakes? and she doesnt want fondant, just BC i would use some fondant for accent pieces,
Thanks

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 20

sure, why not thumbs_up.gif

torysgirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torysgirl87 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 20

I've done one in all buttercream. I think it's in my gallery...And you can use any dome shaped pan. I've even used a bundt pan before and filled the hole w/a cupcake. I use cupcakes for the boobs, turn the upside down and cut of the square edges. I have a tutorial on my webpage www.babycakescakecakedecorating.com where you can see what I mean.

For all buttercream, if you want it smooth instead of stars, you can trace around the the boobs, belly and where the dress flows on a cake board and cut it all out. Put this on top of another board and ice around the entire shaped. Build up w/ lots of icing the gaps between the cake on the board. The melvira smoothing method works great for this.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 20

Hi, I am also getting ready to make one of these cakes also. I am using the wilton ball pan for the belly and I bought the mini Ball pan for the breasts. I am using my oval shaped cake pan for the bottom cake. icon_smile.gif HTH's Here is a link to a beautiful belly cake I found here on CC done by Ctorno. GL

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1213491

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 20

the pampered chef batter bowl would work

cakebaker1957 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by torysgirl87

I've done one in all buttercream. I think it's in my gallery...And you can use any dome shaped pan. I've even used a bundt pan before and filled the hole w/a cupcake. I use cupcakes for the boobs, turn the upside down and cut of the square edges. I have a tutorial on my webpage www.babycakescakecakedecorating.com where you can see what I mean.

For all buttercream, if you want it smooth instead of stars, you can trace around the the boobs, belly and where the dress flows on a cake board and cut it all out. Put this on top of another board and ice around the entire shaped. Build up w/ lots of icing the gaps between the cake on the board. The melvira smoothing method works great for this.

OMG Thanks i was wondering about the boobs i knew that they should be smooth, I may try one this weekend just to see what happens, I dont understand about cutting out the shape? Sorry

torysgirl87 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 20

[/quote]OMG Thanks i was wondering about the boobs i knew that they should be smooth, I may try one this weekend just to see what happens, I dont understand about cutting out the shape? Sorry[/quote]

When I get home this evening I will send you a picture of the smooth all buttercream cake I did. It's not in my gallery, sorry. It was on top of a half sheet cake like you want to do. I missed that initially so that will eleminate the need for some of what I said. Hopefully though the pic will help my explanation. I will try and be a bit more precise...sorry! icon_redface.gif TTUL

cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 12:53am
post #10 of 20
Quote:

OMG Thanks i was wondering about the boobs i knew that they should be smooth, I may try one this weekend just to see what happens, I dont understand about cutting out the shape? Sorry[/quote]

When I get home this evening I will send you a picture of the smooth all buttercream cake I did. It's not in my gallery, sorry. It was on top of a half sheet cake like you want to do. I missed that initially so that will eleminate the need for some of what I said. Hopefully though the pic will help my explanation. I will try and be a bit more precise...sorry! icon_redface.gif TTUL[/quote]

Thanks any info will be very helpfull, I think i get the cut out deal after thinking about it, Cant wait to see the pic, Thanks Oh she also wants it on a separate board kinda like she wants 2 cakes,

torysgirl87 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm
post #11 of 20

I'm so sorry I CAN'T FIND THE PICTURE! icon_cry.gif My ma is checking some other photo cards. I can't believe that it is just missing! I don't know what happened to it.

I'll try my best to explain. On my tutorial, step 6, imagine that you've placed another board between the cake and the foil covered board. The board in between the cake and foil board is the exact shape of the belly and boobs, all the way around with about 1/4 inch of board extending past the cake. Where the fondant would cover the gap between the boobs and the gap between the boobs on the side and the belly (like where a belt would go across), make sure to cut around this space into this space. Ice the cake over smooth using the 1/4 inch edge of the board as a guide to build up the icing and keep it even. Add icing on the board below the belly where the dress would be. I smoothed my cake with the Melvira method and Viva paper towels where the paint roller wouldn't fit. I hope this helps some more.

I will keep looking for the pic!

cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:20pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:

I'm so sorry I CAN'T FIND THE PICTURE! icon_cry.gif My ma is checking some other photo cards. I can't believe that it is just missing! I don't know what happened to it.

I'll try my best to explain. On my tutorial, step 6, imagine that you've placed another board between the cake and the foil covered board. The board in between the cake and foil board is the exact shape of the belly and boobs, all the way around with about 1/4 inch of board extending past the cake. Where the fondant would cover the gap between the boobs and the gap between the boobs on the side and the belly (like where a belt would go across), make sure to cut around this space into this space. Ice the cake over smooth using the 1/4 inch edge of the board as a guide to build up the icing and keep it even. Add icing on the board below the belly where the dress would be. I smoothed my cake with the Melvira method and Viva paper towels where the paint roller wouldn't fit. I hope this helps some more.

I will keep looking for the pic!

Thanks, Hope you find your pic, just for peace of mind i hate it when i cant find something(:

torysgirl87 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:29pm
post #13 of 20

Found it!!! Woo Hoo!!! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks, I hope it helps you.
LL

cakebaker1957 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 12:49pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:

Thank You torysgirl87 i see what you mean now, Im thinking i may use some fondant pieces for the dress ruffle at the bottom and aroung the top under the boobs to tie it all in, Was it hard to get the icing smooth? Especially around the Boobs
Thanks

cakebaker1957 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:44pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippi

Hi, I am also getting ready to make one of these cakes also. I am using the wilton ball pan for the belly and I bought the mini Ball pan for the breasts. I am using my oval shaped cake pan for the bottom cake. icon_smile.gif HTH's Here is a link to a beautiful belly cake I found here on CC done by Ctorno. GL

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1213491

Thanks Chippi, I love the oval board and the fondant cut outs, I wished she would let me use fondant but she wants all Bc , i am using accent pieces for the bow and the ruffle on the bottom of the cake,

torysgirl87 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:00pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:

Thank You torysgirl87 i see what you mean now, Im thinking i may use some fondant pieces for the dress ruffle at the bottom and aroung the top under the boobs to tie it all in, Was it hard to get the icing smooth? Especially around the Boobs
Thanks

I do think fondant is prettier. Like you, the client insisted on all buttercream and she was extremely happy with this result. It wasn't hard to smooth the icing. I used Melvira's method, the paint roller. This is my favorite method. Where the paint roller wouldn't fit I used a viva paper towel and my fingers.

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:08pm
post #17 of 20

The belly cake can be made several ways. My way, since the begining was just to use two round cakes stacked in whatever size you'll need for the amount of people. Then you carve it in the shape of a belly...pretty easy! I use two larger cupcakes for the boobs and carve them a little to resemble the look.
I have made 4 belly cakes, and I am still getting orders for more. I love them!!
Heres my belly cakes...
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1484562.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1536049.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1290306.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1211441.html

Good luck, you got some good help here!!

cakebaker1957 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:42pm
post #18 of 20

[quote="torysgirl87"]

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

I do think fondant is prettier. Like you, the client insisted on all buttercream and she was extremely happy with this result. It wasn't hard to smooth the icing. I used Melvira's method, the paint roller. This is my favorite method. Where the paint roller wouldn't fit I used a viva paper towel and my fingers.[/quote

I use the roller too! Love it, I think im going to practice this weekend , The pan i have is the 3D wilton ball pan, you know the one with 2 pieces and you stick them together with icing if you want a whole round one, This is going to be interesting (: I thought about starring in the dress and making the boobs smooth, then adding the fondant accents to the dress like a bow and a ruffle at the bottom, Will let you know how it turns out, I have to take care of my Mother and work full time as well so my plate is pretty full right now, sometimes i get discouraged and want to quit making cakes all together but when i do one and it turns out really good, i think yes i can do this, Wedding cakes make me nerverse i have one for June but its for a friend of mine and its only 3 stacked so i think im going to not do wedding cakes may put my pans on EBay See"ya thanks for the help .

torysgirl87 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:12pm
post #19 of 20

[quote="cakebaker1957"]

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

I do think fondant is prettier. Like you, the client insisted on all buttercream and she was extremely happy with this result. It wasn't hard to smooth the icing. I used Melvira's method, the paint roller. This is my favorite method. Where the paint roller wouldn't fit I used a viva paper towel and my fingers.[/quote

I use the roller too! Love it, I think im going to practice this weekend , The pan i have is the 3D wilton ball pan, you know the one with 2 pieces and you stick them together with icing if you want a whole round one, This is going to be interesting (: I thought about starring in the dress and making the boobs smooth, then adding the fondant accents to the dress like a bow and a ruffle at the bottom, Will let you know how it turns out, I have to take care of my Mother and work full time as well so my plate is pretty full right now, sometimes i get discouraged and want to quit making cakes all together but when i do one and it turns out really good, i think yes i can do this, Wedding cakes make me nerverse i have one for June but its for a friend of mine and its only 3 stacked so i think im going to not do wedding cakes may put my pans on EBay See"ya thanks for the help .

Please share a pic with me. The fondant ruffle will be a nice touch. Don't be discouraged. You will be surprised how simple this cake is to make. From start to finish on the decorating I can get it done in 30 minutes. I only use 1/2 of the 3D pan (I have a Betty Crocker bake n fill). My first one I used the 3D wilton egg and the cake slid off the board onto the floor! Half of it rests flat on the board.

You sound like me. I have a full plate (several jobs, family, ministry, etc) and often get discouraged too. I've sold my pans off before on ebay. I limit my work to the equipment I have and REFUSE to buy something new at this point. Now is only accept cakes when I can/want to or when people say, "Do whatever you want" or "Just do something simple". I've tried to give it up but I can't. DH says he knows deep down I just love it. I use it as an outlet now rather than a money making venture. This takes the edge off. Best wishes and take care! Don't forget to share a pic.[/i]

cakebaker1957 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:25pm
post #20 of 20

[quote="torysgirl87"]

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

Please share a pic with me. The fondant ruffle will be a nice touch. Don't be discouraged. You will be surprised how simple this cake is to make. From start to finish on the decorating I can get it done in 30 minutes. I only use 1/2 of the 3D pan (I have a Betty Crocker bake n fill). My first one I used the 3D wilton egg and the cake slid off the board onto the floor! Half of it rests flat on the board.

You sound like me. I have a full plate (several jobs, family, ministry, etc) and often get discouraged too. I've sold my pans off before on ebay. I limit my work to the equipment I have and REFUSE to buy something new at this point. Now is only accept cakes when I can/want to or when people say, "Do whatever you want" or "Just do something simple". I've tried to give it up but I can't. DH says he knows deep down I just love it. I use it as an outlet now rather than a money making venture. This takes the edge off. Best wishes and take care! Don't forget to share a pic.[/i]

Thank You , have a wonderful day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%