Whipped Cream Icing To Decorate With? ...please Shoot Me...

Decorating By TxBama Updated 1 Jul 2016 , 8:46pm by ElizabethsCakeCreations

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:21pm
post #31 of 38

When I'd do it,it'd whip up nice and stiff...just riddled with stringy gelatin things...I'll give it another try and keep in mind all the things I could've done wrong before...

after the second time, I just quit trying to use the gelatin as a stabilizer and made it minus the gelatin...just not for decorating decorating but for dessert cakes...maybe rosettes and basic decorating...nothing serious

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:27pm
post #32 of 38

Good luck! I hope it turns out perfect for you.

thumbs_up.gif

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:54pm
post #33 of 38

I buy my whip n' top (that's the name of the product) from a local bakery distributor. The gallon is about $10. It's really easy to work with. You just beat it up to how stiff you want it. Then you can warm your spatula to get a smooth finish. All my cakes have been made with this. Dark colors are almost impossible to get without affecting the flavor. I've learned to use fondant accents (attached with buttercream or piping gel) and buttercream to get the dark colors. I absolutely love this icing. It's taste great and not too sweet. The only thing is that it takes a bit of time to prepare.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:13pm
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Also, HEAVY whipping cream is different than WHIPPING cream. Whipping cream does not whip up as stiffly.

Around here I've never seen whipping cream, only heavy whipping cream - so I would say to check and make sure you have the right thing! I use hwc for several other things, so I know it's the right thing, I make homemade whipped cream out of it and several fillings. I can't wait to try this, my husband will be thrilled!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:50pm
post #35 of 38

I had a specific request for whipped icing so I found a recipe that worked pretty well. I don't have the recipe with me. I used it for the sheet cake with the basketball on it in my pics. I loved piping it and I just used a hot bench scraper for smoothing and I found it easier that buttercream to smooth.

I've never tried Bettercreme. Do you just ask the bakery for it? I know it's not out on the shelves for sell.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:33pm
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Also, HEAVY whipping cream is different than WHIPPING cream. Whipping cream does not whip up as stiffly.

Around here I've never seen whipping cream, only heavy whipping cream - so I would say to check and make sure you have the right thing! I use hwc for several other things, so I know it's the right thing, I make homemade whipped cream out of it and several fillings. I can't wait to try this, my husband will be thrilled!

In some areas (mine is one) you will see cartons labeled: Whipping Cream, and other cartons labeled: Heavy Cream. A lot of people get confused. Heavy cream is used for many other things as well, so they don't think they are getting the right product if they are just buying the one marked "Heavy Cream...

"Whipping Cream" has only a 30% butter fat content whereas Heavy Cream has up to 40% butter fat. Whipping Cream will whip fine for fillings and topping, but Heavy Cream is best for stabilizing as it doubles in its volume when whipped.

I also have Light Cream (great for custards and savory dishes) and Half n' Half (I use this as my coffee creamer) as choices when shopping for products other than whole milk... too many choices!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:38pm
post #37 of 38

Same as Win here...and too, it depends on the brand...

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 8:46pm
post #38 of 38

bookmarked :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%