Tie- Dye Effect On Buttercream

Decorating By sudie1 Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 4:29pm by crazydoglady

sudie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sudie1 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 5

HELP! I don't have an airbrush system yet, so what's the best way to get the tie-dye effect on a buttercream cake? Client doesn't want fondant. Also, does the Wilton Spray Mist work well? Does it alter the taste of the buttercream? Thanks for your suggestions.

4 replies
TxBama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxBama Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 5

Hi Sudie1 ~ I have a picture posted that resembles a tye dyed effect in my gallery. (SUNSET in my gallery) It is done in BC and you can easily change the pattern to suit your needs. I have done a tye dyed cake with this same technique, but just don't have a picture. I'll tell you how I did it, and maybe this will help.

Tint BC in the shades you need. I lightly frosted over my cake in one color, then went back and put dollops of the different colors over the cake. I then frosted with a spatula - you can pull the frosting with your spatula in different directions to cover the cake, then smooth in all ONE direction, to pull the colors across and through the other colors. But, don't over work your colors or it will "muddy" them up. Hope this might help you out. Good Luck!

sudie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sudie1 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 5

TxBama, your sunset cake is beautiful - great work! Thanks for sharing your idea with me. Your bc is so smooth. Did you use Viva method to smooth it after smoothing multi-colors in one direction with spatula?

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 5

TxBama, awesome technique! I'll have to remember that one. You do beautiful work.

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 5

i think this camo technique would work too.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=659223&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

txbama - your cakes are amazing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%