How To Save Money On Your Wedding Cake

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 4:57am by sweet-thing

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:28am
post #1 of 10

Found this handy little list here:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2030424_save-money-cake.html

How to save money on your wedding cake.

Take notes ladies this is some pretty sound advice.

1. Have a small tiered cake. The tiered cake is meant specifically for looks and to have pictures taken with. Have sheet cakes to cut up for your guests to eat. Wedding cake is wedding cake. Many of your guests will not know that they are not eating the tiered cake.

This is true, we all know traditionally hundreds of years ago cakes were used for photo op's and that was all, it's only in recent years that we have begun to actually eat said cake.

2. Another option is to have a Styrofoam cake decorated for pictures, but have sheet cakes for the guests to actually eat. You can wheel your for-visual-only wedding cake from view, and no one will know.

You would think that installing wheels on the cake would come at an extra charge?

3.Skip the caterer's cake. Many caterers will want you to purchase your cake from them. But the reality is that they probably will not make the cake. They will order it from an outside source just as you would, and then add overhead cost to deliver it to you.

How dare they try to make a profit.

4.Skip a fancy cake topper. The cake topper is a large part of the cost. You can decorate the top of the cake with found objects that symbolize you as a couple. Or place flowers on the top. Take the same flowers that are in the bridal bouquet to tie the cake in with the rest of your decorations.

Found objects? Like that really cool picture frame you found in the dumpster ? Or that adorable little kitten that was wandering around your neighborhood, now theres a cake topper!

5.Order less cake than the number of people attending. Most people will only eat one piece, and many others will not have any cake at all. Offer other dessert options. Many people will opt out of cake for a simple cookie.

Or better yet, order 1/2 the amount of cake that you need and auction it off, that way you can re-coop some of your expenses.

6.Choose an out-of-home baker or have a family member make it for you. Working out of the home allows them to have less overhead costs, and they will pass these savings on to you.

Aunt Wanda baked a cake once, she did it out of her home too, give her a call, Im sure shell even put some wheels on it if you asked nicely.

7.Skip the anniversary top. Let's admit their intention is good. But who really wants to eat a year-old freezer burnt cake on your first anniversary? This little cake actually could cost as much as any of the other layers.

So true, many bakers charge just as much for a 6 cake as they do a 14 cake.

8.Get the sides rolled in nuts. Sounds weird, but frosting the sides takes more time and effort than the top. This will cut down on the decorating time and cost.

I dont know about anyone else but it sounds like it would take a lot of time and effort to get nuts to stick to the side of a cake that had no frosting?

9.Call your local arts and crafts store and ask if they offer cake decorating classes. If they do, contact the teacher. Ask her if she would like to make your cake, or she could give your referral to one of her talented students. Many students take the classes to decorate for their own families and might be thrilled to actually make money doing it.

And when your done with that call the local YMCA and see if the offer first aid classes, if they do contact the instructor and see if they would like to remove your appendix.

10.Shop at discount or grocery stores. Any place that has a bakery, will more than likely decorate wedding cakes. They do not need to charge much overhead, because this is not their specialty.

Ring Ring Ring
- Hello Cheap N Fast Grocery , how may I help you.
- Yes I was interested in ordering a wedding cake
-Well weve never done one before, we specialize in frozen 6 mth old sheet cakes with misspelled greetings on them.
-Great, Ill take one to serve 50, Im having a 100 guests but Im only giving cake to those who bought stuff specifically off my register, oh and can you put wheels on it?

9 replies
ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:44am
post #2 of 10

icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:44am
post #3 of 10

Hahahahahaha! Funny. I especially like the found objects as cake topper. WTH? Who does that?

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:04am
post #4 of 10

Bwaaahahhhhaaaa. I LOVE it!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:28am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

Hahahahahaha! Funny. I especially like the found objects as cake topper. WTH? Who does that?

I thought this was crazy as well. It's the first time I've heard this bad advice.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:36am
post #6 of 10

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG that was comedy gold... especially your internal comments.

"I'll take one Cheap-n-Fast cake rolled in nuts with a kitten on top. Oh... and 'under neat' that... could you put some wheels??"

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:37am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

8.Get the sides rolled in nuts. Sounds weird, but frosting the sides takes more time and effort than the top. This will cut down on the decorating time and cost.

I dont know about anyone else but it sounds like it would take a lot of time and effort to get nuts to stick to the side of a cake that had no frosting?

But nuts are far less expensive than labor!!! And I don't think I've ever met anyone that said they didn't like nuts. Seriously, who doesn't like nuts?

Who wants an elegant beautiful cake when they can have it covered in chopped, gritty, stale walnuts???

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:43am
post #8 of 10

L
M
A
O

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:47am
post #9 of 10

hahahahahahahaha!!! oh my gosh - this is seriously hilarious! People are clueless!

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:57am
post #10 of 10

Hilarious! CakeMommy, I have decided you should give up cakes and take your stand-up act on the road! You are too funny! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%