Wire?

Decorating By King-Girlz Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 2:10pm by King-Girlz

King-Girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
King-Girlz Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 5

Hello,
Often on cakes I see stars and fun things coming out of the cake on a thin wire. They always add to the cake! I would love to know what wire everyone is using? I understand that "Stainless Steel" is truly the only food grade wire available, but I have no idea where to get that?
Could someone tell me what wire they use? Where do they buy it? Is is food safe?
Thanks so much!

4 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 5

Welcome to CC King Girlz -

What part of the Globe are you situated at? .... that might help one of use suggest where to find it more easily.

Over here (in Australia) all cake decorating outlets sell it.
The food safe one which is covered with foodsafe grade paper -

There is a choice of either white or dark green.
They also sell the *cake picks* that you can insert into the cake - fill half way with fondant/ whatever medium and then stick your wires into...
That way they don't move.

Bluehue

SliceCakeStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SliceCakeStudio Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 5

You can buy any wire you like and stick it into cake stirrers inserted into the cake, too. That way the wire doesn't touch the cake.

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 5

Here is a post about foodsafe wires that might be a good read for you.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=632290&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=gumpastefoodsafe&&start=0
As to where i have bought my wires before, either a craft store or i have also bought some off of my local florist. We dont have a lot of selection in my town so the florist was nice casue they have all sorts of different gage wires.[/url]

King-Girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
King-Girlz Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much...I am in Ontario Canada. Will have to read up on this and see where I can find this! Thanks for your replies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%