Black Fondant

Decorating By sparker76 Updated 8 Jan 2010 , 1:58am by YesiBoo

sparker76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparker76 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 7

Anyone have any tips on using black coloring when using fondant? I a building a purse cake and need black on it but am a little worried to get that "taste" from the black food coloring.

6 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 7

How much fondant are you talking about? For a full batch of MMF, it takes me an entire pot of Wilton Black, but I've never gotten any odd taste from it. It just takes SO much to make black.

NJCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJCakeDiva Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 7

You could buy black fondant already colored, depending on how much you need. Also, I learned here on CC that you can buy chocolate fondant, that way you use far less gel coloring to reach the black color

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 7

If it or zebra stipes or something like that, you can always paint them on. If you need to make the black fondant, you could do it a week ahead and let the color & taste settle. It wont be as strong. I dont know why but it works. Black is a very bitter taste. Americolor super black isnt as bad as wilton.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 7

I agree with buying black fondant or coloring brown chocolate fondant, though black fondant can arrive sticky but maybe not in this cold weather. When I have to add a lot of color to fondant it changes the consistency of it to be more stretchy, so you may have to add tylose or something to help firm it up if you need it for sculpting.

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:41am
post #6 of 7

Oh yes - Use or make chocolate fondant then color it black. That works best for no bitter flavor. Forgot to add that.

YesiBoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YesiBoo Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:58am
post #7 of 7

I use the MMF fondant recipe and substitute about 1/2 cup of powdered sugar with cocoa powder... I add about half of the Wilton black color to the marshmallows after i melt them and mix it in.... It also helps to make it a day or two in advance because it takes the color better

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%