First Fondant Covered Cake

Decorating By Reganlynn Updated 8 Jan 2010 , 12:06am by Samb88

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 7

Hello, I am about to make my first fondant covered cake. I have been reading and reading information. I have read a few conflicting things and just want to make sure I do this right. I read the way to do it is buttercream the cakes first, put in fridge for a few hours, take out and spritz with water and cover in fondant and then back in then fridge again. But, then I read that you shouldn't put fondant cakes in the fridge....So, my question is, is the method above the best way to go?

Thank you!!

6 replies
alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 7

After my cakes have cooled. I torte and fill them, and pop them back in the fridge. After an hour or over night which ever I have time for I take them out and crumb coat them in BC. Then I add my MMfondant. I dont put them back in the fridge after that. Seems to work well for me.

FiveRushings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FiveRushings Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 7

I cover the cake in buttercream and shortly follow with MMF (Marshmellow Fondant). I never put my cakes in the refrig. In the past I did put a buttercream covered cake in the refrig then placed fondant on it and it ruined the color of my fondant (sweat). It also made it very sticky. Good luck! I love working with fondant!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 7

.moving to Cake Decorating. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 7

I put my cakes in the fridge before I cover them. It's easier to cover a cold firm cake than a warm wiggly one. I don't spritz it with water before adding the fondant though. It will form a little condensation as the cake comes to room temp and that sticks the fondant down well enough. It dries in an hour or two, if even that long.

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 7

I will crumb coat my cake and then stick it in the fridge just to firm back up. I take it out and put it on the counter while I roll out my fondant. That way it has enough time to warm back up just enough that I don't have to worry about sweating. It all depends on where you live as to how the fondant, cakes, etc will act. You might have a trial and error period. First cake I ever put fondant on, I had in the fridge from the night before. The fondant didn't like the cold cake and wouldn't seal. I had to add piping gel to the bottom in order for the bottom to stick.

Samb88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samb88 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 12:06am
post #7 of 7

I always bake the cakes, let cool, level off and put in freezer til the day before/6 hours minimum, fill layers with buttercream and carve sides til its the shape i want, then cover the whole cake in buttercream (all whilst still frozen), leave to defrost. I go back to it and cover with desired fondant (don't spritz as the cream will already have come condensation on it that will hold the fondant). I took a long time to find the right buttercream that suited me and i found a 50/50 mix of butter/shortening works well for me and goes down a treat.

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%