Dumb Question About Cross Cake On Top Of Sheet Cake

Decorating By prettysweet Updated 6 Jan 2010 , 2:31pm by AverageMom

prettysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettysweet Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a christening cake for the baptism of my nephew's daughter on Sunday. I am planning to use a sheet cake with a cross. Do I put a board under the cross or place it directly atop the sheet ? I haven't done any decorating lately due to surgery and continuing pain so any suggestions for an easy but pretty cake would be appreciated.
thanks.

10 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 11

You wouldn't need to support it, but depending on the design you may prefer a board underneath. Will it be all buttercream?

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 11

Personally, I think it would be easier as far as decorating, transfer and cutting of the cake to have it on it's own board.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 11

If you have a single layer sheet cake, with a single layer cross cake, it's the same as having a 2-layer cake. Except the top layer just happens to be a different shape.

I don't put cardboards between just a regular 2-layer cake, so as far as support-wise, no you don't need one.

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 11

I've made two of these cakes. One for my daughter's christening and one for a friend's son. The first (my daughter) I didn't use a board. I found there was too much give to the cake when I was crumb coating and covering it with fondant. Yes, I stacked then covered, same with the second but I did put a board and thought it came out really well.

Not sure if this will work: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1252396.html

that was the second cake of its kind.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 11

not a problem at all, no cardboard needed. after I had assembled
mine I was concerned to but it had no problems with sagging at all. I did a 2nd one and put in some dowels under the cross just to make sure since I was thinking maybe I had just got lucky. Thanks Indydebi for confirming it would be ok without them. Best wishes on your cake.

indydebi Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 11:39pm
post #7 of 11

Since it is a 2-layer cake, it will have some weight to it, so I WOULD recommend 2 or 3 cardboards as the base, depending on how big the sheet cake is. thumbs_up.gif

prettysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettysweet Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:27am
post #8 of 11

It's going to be a 2 layer sheet and then the cross so it might be better for cutting to have it on its own board. I'm planning on using a wooden board covered with foil for the main base so it won't bend during transport. I appreciate all the hints because I can use all the help I can get. I did a lot of baking for the holidays but avoided anything that required any decorating other than holly leaves. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew with the cake and decorated cross and heart cookies. I'm using NFSC and MMF with royal for accents on the cookies. Thanks again.

indydebi Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:28am
post #9 of 11

with a 2-layer sheet, I WOULD put a board under the cross PLUS about 3 boards wrapped together for the base.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:15pm
post #10 of 11

I've made a couple like that. I put a board under the cross just so it could be removed and cut separately.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:31pm
post #11 of 11

There are NO dumb questions!

I have no idea about the support needed, but for cutting and serving purposes I would put a board under the cross. Either way I'm sure it will be lovely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%