Lot's Of Questions

Decorating By Windsor Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 2:55am by RobzC8kz

Windsor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Windsor Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, for my baby shower my best friend and I are going to be making a cake. We were going to put fondant flowers and little dots all over it ( we are also putting a baby cake on top of it, like the baby is sleeping on the cake so the flowers are going to be few and far between mostly on the corners.) However to get the dots as close to as perfectly round as possible, would you recommend royal icing, or just stick with the buttercream?

Also does anyone recommend a good chocolate buttercream recipe? My theme for the shower is pink and brown, so we wanted to incorporate the brown in there some where.

Also I want the flowers to be a little offset from the cake, they are going to be just cut outs, to keep it simple, but should i just "mold" them with my fingers or is there a technique?

Also what kind of cake would you all recommend for the base cake seeing as there will be another cake on top of it? What will keep its form with being as moist as possible? I want the cake to steal the show, as this is my last baby, last baby shower, and would like ot practice before we make my friends cake for her shower.

Thank you in advance all!

5 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 6

When I want to make polka dots - I use tip 10 or tip 12 to cut them out so they are perfectly round. I also let the fondant sit out for about 10 minutes and then I cut them out. Then I use a toothpick to pick them up - I just put a little vanilla on the toothpick and then attach it to the dot. It works like a charm.

For the flower cut outs - you can do whatever you want. Leave them flat or use a ball tool and ruffle the edges.

If you are afraid that you cake won't be moist enough - you can add a simple syrup. It will help keep the cake really nice and moist. You can make any cake - just use a support system (even if it's dowel rods) to support the cake on top.

Let me go find my chocolate buttercream recipe. =o)

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 6

Ok - for some reason I can't find the chocolate buttercream recipe that I usually use. Sorry!

But here's a picture of a baby shower cake that I did with the same colors that you are using. And it has polka dots. I used a tip 12 for the polka dots.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1474672

Windsor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Windsor Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks!!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:33am
post #5 of 6

If you want really small dots, then I would use RI. I used them on my present cake in my photos. When you pipe them, use a #2 or #3 tip then just flatten them with the end of a toothpick. The original WASC makes a good sturdy cake and so does the chocolate pound cake (both in recipes). icon_smile.gif

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:55am
post #6 of 6

Here's my recipe for Chocolate Buttercream! I love it!! Hope you like it!

2lbs Powdered Sugar
1 stick softened sweet unsalted butter
1 1/2 Cups Sweetex or other high ratio shortening
4 Tablespoons clear vanilla
1/4 teaspoon amond extract
1/3 Cup water
1 Cup cocoa powder (sifted to prevent lumps)

Blend butter, shortening, vanilla and almond extract until smooth

Add Cocoa Powder and blend until fully incorporated (doesn't matter when you add it, but I like to add it first so it will completely mix together)

Gradually add powdered sugar and water (a bit at a time. When mixture starts to stiffen up, pour some water in to thin it out...until all PS is added)

For extra chocolate flavor, simply add more cocoa powder!

If BC is too thin, add more PS until consistency is how you like. If BC is too thick, add more water until consistency is how you like it.

yields approx 8 cups

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%