Ferns, Any Great Methods For Creating?

Decorating By LyndaOlsen Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 7:20am by LateBloomer

LyndaOlsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LyndaOlsen Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 8:04am
post #1 of 12

Does anyone have a method of creating gumpaste ferns that looks realistic?

I recently purchased The Gem Leaf set and used the fern cutter. I was not impressed with the result. I know there are other brand fern cutters available, but I do not want to continue to purchase items without knowing the result will look better.

I might try rolling out a small amount of green gumpaste into a sausage shape, and hand shape each individual frond and eventually wire it all together. If it works, I'll post how I did it along with a picture.

If anyone has an idea that's easier (like a good mold) and can give me the result I'm looking for I sure would appreciate hearing from you.

PS - Love the Forum and all the help everyone provides. icon_smile.gif

11 replies
excitingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
excitingcakes Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 12:50am
post #2 of 12

The best technique I have seen for making gum paste ferns is in a book called "the Wedding Cake Decorator's Bible" by Alan Dunn
There are step by step instructions that are very easy to follow, right to how to use petal dust to color it properly.
These are very fragile when done so you have to handle with great care.

LyndaOlsen Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:35am
post #3 of 12

Thank you so much for responding. I recently bought the Cake Bible thinking it might cover this and it doesn't.

I'll order the book you suggested. I have a lot to learn and really appreciate all the support from this site. You're the best icon_biggrin.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:47am
post #4 of 12

Lynda...If you find this is what you are looking for, can you please pm me and let me know? I have been wanting the same thing, but when I went to Amazon and looked at the title and accompanying info, I wasn't sure it was what I was looking for. I'm reluctant to purchase without glancing thru it first. Thanks.

excitingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks! This is just what I was looking for. I just completed my order. Now watch me create jungles with orchids and ferns...

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:33am
post #7 of 12

I can't agree more with 'excitingcakes', Alan Dunn is the champion of flowers and easy to follow instuctions. But, I also have found that the ferns break easily. Has anybody used unbreakable gel? I am really tired of flowers breaking.

LyndaOlsen Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:37am
post #8 of 12

I too purchased The Wedding Cake Decorator's Bible, as recommended and made my first fern tonight. It turned out better than any other process I had tried.

I'll have to try a couple more, in order to perfect the process. Once I do that I'll post the results.

You will need to purchase the fern cutter in the GEM leaf cutter 3 set. It's what I had purchased but was unimpressed with.

I'm doubt I can write the steps here in the forum since it's copyrighted in the book.

The book was well worth the cost. I purchased it for full price at around $25.00

farmersdaughter4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmersdaughter4 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 12

I have two suggestions:

If ferns don't have to be made out of gumpaste, try coating a real fern with melted chocolate (dark, white or even chocolate melts) - Allow to dry and then peel off the fern. Of course, for the best results you should use a sturdy type fern.

Make yourself a mold - I've really been impressed with the few molds that I've made (acorns and pinecones) - mix the ingredients per box instructions and push "item" into the mixture - sturdy fern should work or buy a plastic fern (which probably would work better) Only takes about 20-30 minutes for your mold to dry. Then you can press in your gumpaste and ta-dum - a fern! I buy my boxed mold kit at either Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

milkmaid42 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 12

Lynda...I am so glad that I bought The Cake Maker's Bible and the fern cutter. That is exactly what I had been looking for. The ferns weren's as difficult as I had imagined they would be, although they do need a little refining. I made several extra to allow for breakage, but didn't need them. Here is a photo of the cake I used them on. Already my mind is flooded with more ideas.
LL

LyndaOlsen Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:14am
post #11 of 12

Those look exactly like mine. You're right with the correct instructions they really were not that difficult.

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 7:20am
post #12 of 12

Milkmaid, your ferns are beautiful and so natural looking. Farmers daughter I think your idea of dipping ferns in chocolate is brilliant. I get so boxed up sometimes and just think of small leaves ivy, rose, etc for choc dipping. Would never have thought of ferns! Thanks so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%