Has Anyone Made Gluten Free Cakes?

Decorating By chefali Updated 29 Aug 2005 , 10:39pm by chefali

chefali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefali Posted 26 Aug 2005 , 7:52am
post #1 of 10

I had a request for a gluten free cake today- I have made a flourless chocolate cake before, but the lady doesn't know if the person likes chocolate..... Has anyone used those rice flour or other alternatives before? Did it turn out well????

Thanks

9 replies
MoonicaLeigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoonicaLeigh Posted 26 Aug 2005 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 10

AAHH, My father-in-law is gluten intolerant, I have not tried the recipies, however from talking to a baker that made a cake for him it's a fine line between being a good cake, and being a door stop. If you find one that works well please share it =o) I have been too chicken to try. Good luck!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 26 Aug 2005 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 10

Same here....never tried it, but would love a good recipe. My step-mother is on a gluten-free long-term diet....not to lose weight, though. She has severe psoriasis (skin condition) and some digestive problems, her doctor suggested a gluten-free diet would help with the symptoms of both, strange 'huh? lol She loves sweets so I'd love to make her a gluten free cake if I only knew how to do it!!! lol icon_razz.gif

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 26 Aug 2005 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 10

gluten is the protein in flour that creates a strong and flexible structure, determing the texture of cake or bread or other baked goods.

the problem with rice or corn flours is that they are very low in protein compared to wheat, and thus don't produce a lot of gluten (or none, which is why cornflour/starch makes great shortbread cookies), and my experience is that rice flour produces a heavy, gritty cake.

my feeling, as i have expressed elsewhere with various dietary restrictions, is that you should come up with fully-real alternatives, rather than trying to find a pale subsitute. so my answer to gluten intolerance is to abandon "cake" and explore the wonderful world of pavlovas and nut dacquoise (made with ground nuts)...you can make layers or cake-shaped cases, and fill/sandwhich them with mousse or whipped cream and fruit. these sorts of desserts can also be made kosher for passover (since there's no leavening). thumbs_up.gif

chefali Posted 26 Aug 2005 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks Aunt Judy-
That reminds me that I have a good recipe for a "cake"...... It is called Marjolaine- it has 4 meringue noisette layers with fillings of whipped ganache, one of coffee buttercream, and one of whipped cream. The top gets melted ganache for a smooth finish and the sides get coffee buttercream and chopped hazlenuts. Looks beautiful when done, maybe I can suggest that. Thanks again.

JennT Posted 26 Aug 2005 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 10

I think you're right, aunt-judy....that'll save ourselves a whole lotta frustration in the end!! lol I really like that idea of going with the desserts.

chefgirl - would you be willing to share the recipe for that "cake" with the ganache/coffee bc/hazelnuts?? My step-mother would just LOVE that!! She's having a hysterectomy in the middle of September & I was hoping to go see her & make something yummy for her while I'm there....that would be the perfect thing!! Thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 26 Aug 2005 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 10

chefali: that sounds DELICIOUS...and very reminiscent of a cake i used to do the finishing off when i worked at la rocca (see the jamocha almond fudge cake)
http://www.laroccacakes.com/htm/main2.htm.
my favourite was the "super caramel crunch" which was 2 layers of nut dacquoise with stabilized real cream, and this amazing caramel.

do keep in mind that these types of cakes/desserts should be allowed to sit for several hours before serving to allow the cream/mousse to penetrate the meringues so that you can cut them...and be sure to use plenty of cream or mousse.

JennT Posted 26 Aug 2005 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennT

chefgirl - would you be willing to share the recipe for that "cake" with the ganache/coffee bc/hazelnuts?? My step-mother would just LOVE that!! She's having a hysterectomy in the middle of September & I was hoping to go see her & make something yummy for her while I'm there....that would be the perfect thing!! Thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

Oops... icon_redface.gif I'm sorry...I meant to address you as chefali...there's a chefgirl on here, so I guess it just stuck in my head!! lol icon_redface.gif

Beebug123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beebug123 Posted 27 Aug 2005 , 1:37am
post #9 of 10

I have! I have! I have a gluten intolerance so I often go on a gluten free diet. I use a bagged cake mix made from gluten free flours. I say that this would be the only way to go because making them from scratch is a fine line between edible and non edible. I use a brand called Gluten Free Pantry. It is available near me at Whole Foods if you have one of those, other wise you will have to order online.

Here is a link to dessert mixes:
http://www.glutenfree.com/glu/showprod.cfm?&DID=7&CATID=1&ObjectGroup_ID=34

My fav is the spice cake mix. You can add carrots to it and you get an amazing carrot cake. My DH even would eat it, you really could not tell the difference! The recipe will be on this page http://www.glutenfree.com/cookie_recipes.htm

chefali Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 10:39pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for all the great ideas! I wouldn't mind sharing the recipe......however it is 3 seperate recipes and I think it would be easier to scan them and attach them on to an email. If you wouldnt mind giving me your email......you can email it to me if you want @
[email protected]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%