Checkeredboard Cake Layers

Decorating By pinky1944 Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 7:51pm by 7yyrt

pinky1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky1944 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 6

My grandson is planning a wedding in July and wants his grandmother (me) to make his cake. I don't have a problem decorating the plain covered cake , but he wants the inside to be like a checkered flag. Do they make a pan for this or can it be baked and stacked without a problem if it is just baked in round layer pans? HELP!!!!!!

5 replies
sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 6

There is a Wilton pan that will allow you to do this. Only problem is that you can only make the one size. Here is a link.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 6

Maybe you can make your own dividers with several thicknesses of aluminum foil? Just pour the batter veeeerrrry carefully. Or, they make lots of different sizes of cake rings for placing on a flat sheet. You could buy the different sized rings to place inside your pan to keep the batters apart. Check out

sleeper713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleeper713 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 6

I saw on Cake Boss where they baked the 2 different flavors, then cut circles out of the layers with cake rings. Then they just swapped the cut-out, donut shaped parts and it looked great!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 6

I have seen on the cake shows like Cakeboss, etc where they use round cakes and use the rings to do it with, Please do not buy that Wilton pan I have it and I was never pleased with the outcome, The ends of the cake always come out dry, and crusted. I think it is only for home use.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%