New Years Party Food

Lounge By Sunflower08 Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 5:21pm by mbelgard

Sunflower08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflower08 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 6

What foods will you be having for New Years Eve Parties...
Like finger food, apps, and whatever else..
I'm trying to come up with something yummy and completly drawing a blank...

5 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 6

We'll be having an assortment of cheeses with crackers. (Cheese ball, goat cheese with cranberries, Fontina, Havarti and Colby.)
I'll be wrapping and baking a small wheel of Brie Cheese up in puff pastry.
Mini sandwich spirals
Stuffed Mushrooms
Mini crab cakes
I was going to make sauted lobster on a toasted bagette slice but they sold out.
sandwiches for the kids cut out with cookie cutters.
Veggie tray.

I think that's it for apps this year. I usually go all out for and do a huge 7 course gourmet meal for New Years, but I have to work this New Years Eve so that's not happening this year.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 6

This year I'm making mini taco salads, asparagus wrapped in bacon, teriyaki chicken on a stick and pizza on a stick as well as bruschetta. Yup, I said Pizza on a stick...it's really really easy! My theme is red and green so I tried to keep the food in that area too.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 12:11am
post #4 of 6

My husband normally wants the same thing on New Years Day, bullets and bangs. This year he's changing it up a little and wants bullets with chili.

I make them for him because it's traditional food on the first of the year for his tribe. New Years Eve isn't a big deal for them, but the day after they all have family meals.

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:16am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

bullets and bangs

Translation, please? Sorry, but I have no clue what that is, LOL!

We don't do much for New year's. If we do, it's usually just us and maybe my parents. We generally have sausage balls and/or pigs-in-a-blanket, chips and homemade onion dip (well, homemade with Lipton soup mix, LOL), any leftover Christmas cookies & candies, and ginger ale. Nothing sophisticated or exciting...This year I'm not doing anything, though.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByJen2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

bullets and bangs

Translation, please? Sorry, but I have no clue what that is, LOL!

Bullets are a boiled meatball and bangs are a type of Indian (Native American) fry bread. The bullets are often served with potatoes. Bangs are often served with other foods but I've never seen bullets offered without bangs.

They are most common at New Years but can be served all year. The school gives them to the kids a few times a year for lunch and always the week before school lets out for Christmas break.

I had to learn how to make them since they are one of the few traditional foods left on this reservation, I had never heard of them until I met my husband.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%