Thumbprint Cookie Icing????

Baking By 4laynes Updated 24 Dec 2009 , 2:56pm by 4laynes

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 12:34am
post #1 of 11

The bakery sells little round butter cookies, about the size of a quarter, with a dollop of icing in the center. They're called thumbprints. I have some butter cookie dough left (tired of rolling and cutting) and would like to give it a try. Does anyone know what kind of icing would go on these little cookies? It's not hard like royal, it's a soft set and holds it's shape but is firm enough to be stackable. Any ideas? Thank you!

Bev

10 replies
kiki07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiki07 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:57am
post #2 of 11

Are you sure its icing and not white chocolate? If its not chocolate...bump.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:59am
post #3 of 11

I've always just used chocolate, with a little shortening stirred in to keep it from getting really hard.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 3:20am
post #4 of 11

I always put strawberry jam in them... mmmmm.

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 3:25am
post #5 of 11

I make chocolate ones with cream cheese icing on them and a pecan half on top of that. You can't ever stack them, because the cream cheese icing is soft, but they are out of this world delicious.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 3:32am
post #6 of 11

I made thumbprints tonight. I did apricot, blackberry, and raspberry jam filled ones. Yum, yum!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 3:43am
post #7 of 11

I just use crusting BC

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 4:25am
post #8 of 11

I make a cream cheese icing using butter, powd sugar, cream cheese and vanilla with a tad bit of milk.... ummmm....goood....

keflyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keflyn Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 5:53am
post #9 of 11

the bakery I go to uses buttercream on some and then some other icing on the others (my favorite) I believe it's just a few cups of powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. I've made it before. it's nothin fancy but it tastes so good

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 6:25am
post #10 of 11

water, powdered sugar, and food coloring- that's how the bakery here does the icing.

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 2:56pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone! I'm sure it must be the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. That makes sense. Digging around on the internet I found a recipe that was the same but added a little corn syrup. What purpose does the corn syrup have - shine, maybe? Would it have anything to do with how it sets?

So many questions, so little time! icon_biggrin.gif

Bev

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%