How Do I Make A Cake Spin?

Decorating By morkai Updated 1 Jan 2010 , 12:17pm by AbouttheCake

morkai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morkai Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 6

i need to make the top layer of a cake spin but i don't know what i need

5 replies
Mike_Elder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike_Elder Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:21am
post #2 of 6

Thats a hard one!! I make everything from scratch when i need to do that!
nobody makes anything (yet) I'm workin on it!!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:57am
post #3 of 6

You could mount a microwave turntable motor inside of some PVC pipe put through the middle of the lower tier(s). The top tier should have a plate that connects to the drive shaft of the motor.

You will need to know how many volts and amps that the motor uses. It will need an adapter to prevent over heating the wires and motor. The information is usually indicated on the motor or the packaging.

If you don't know anything about electronics go to an expert for help. Radio Shack might have some knowledgable techs that can set up something for you.



p.s. Welcome to CC!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 6

you can get small battery operated turntables, that sit about 3" high, maybe shorter. they turn real slowly and are used for displaying jewelry or small objects. I got some from ebay.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 6

0.661386787 pounds = 300 grams....that is how much the jewelry turntable will hold that I found new on eBay for $7.95 with free shipping and handling as of today, Monday...12/28/09

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 12:17pm
post #6 of 6

If the weight of the top cake is less than 5 lbs., you can use the Wilton spinning topper mount. Sink it into the cake below. We did that for the WE Wedding Cake Wars challange.

Quote by @%username% on %date%