This Is So Much Easier Than That.... (Add To It)

Decorating By JuneBugBaby Updated 24 Dec 2009 , 4:11am by FlourPots

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 2:43am
post #31 of 53

What a fabulous thread. Thank you, all of you, for sharing your tips and ideas!!...I am still learning and do not have much to share at this time...

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:11am
post #32 of 53

I tort my cake layers so I have a higher cake, using a cookie sheet without sides to lift the layers and position them on top on one another. It's so much easier when I spray the cookie sheet with cooking spray first. Cake just slides right off.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:31am
post #33 of 53

it is so much easier to make my own cake release (shortening and flour mixture to store in fridge). I always have some on hand to coat cake pans withour shaking extra flour out of the pans.

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:38am
post #34 of 53

It's so much easier to use modeling chocolate for all my decorations (except delicate flowers) because they set up so fast, don't move on ya, stay the same size/shape I want and taste WAY better than gumpaste!!!

It's so much easier to make cakes for fun and to bless others because then I get to make them when I want, what style I want, and for who I want! icon_smile.gif

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:46am
post #35 of 53

i dont know if this falls into this thread but.....
its so much easier to use a dropper (like those medicine droppers) when you need to add small amounts of water to BC (or really anything)
its so much easier to use the medicine cap cups-for measuring tsp and tbs- no spills like on measuring spoons.

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:42am
post #36 of 53

It's so much easier to have a stack of covered boards on hand for when you need them. I use freezer paper or white contact paper almost always. Which brings me to......it's much cheaper to use freezer paper than to use fanci foil. Not as decorative but works great.

It's so much easier to cover a few boards in contact paper and use when flipping out large sheets or rounds from the pan or use when torting.

It's so much easier to make a big batch of simple syrup and store in airtight containers in the fridge for when you need them.

It's so much easier to use parchment triangles for those little amounts of icing because you can easily toss them with no cleanup.

Also...just to throw a few more things in there. When I mix small amounts of icing (color), sometimes I use little punch cups if I have extras on hand so I can toss them. Not very green but I'm guilty. Also, I use takeout cutlery too mix items so I can just toss that as well (again...not so green).

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:58am
post #37 of 53

It's so much easier to smoothe cakes when I use cornstarch or powdered sugar to prevent my fondant from sticking than when I use Crisco ... EXCEPT for the big double barrel cakes. SO much easier to get the fondant the right size to unstick and roll off onto the cake when I use Crisco!!!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 6:10pm
post #38 of 53

If you're a nibbler, like me (the post about licking the beaters, etc., really hit home) it's much easier to learn to curb this habit by using a surgical mask while you bake and decorate. I found this out once when I had to make a cake for a friend while I had a nasty cold. The number of times I hit the mask with a dribble of this and a dab of that (don't get grossed out, I'm a fanatic about washing my hands right away!) was very surprising. I used the mask for everything I made for about a month after that and now I don't need it anymore (except when I have a cold!), but talk about mindless habits that can do you in in no time!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 6:19pm
post #39 of 53

Ok someone posted this earlier but I would like to reiterate that it is SSSSSSOOOOOOOOO much easier to buy red and black fondant than to try and make it yourself!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 6:43pm
post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

It's so much easier making cookies with cutters than trying to cut around a template (no matter how chilled your dough is or how sharp your knife or x-acto is), I found this out a few days ago and will make my own cutter(s) if I have to before attempting that again.

I had to do this the other day and ended up cutting then out with my stitching wheel (quilting wheel? you know, that fabric thing that makes the dotted line look). Worked great!! HTH

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 6:46pm
post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

It's SO much easier to put your decorating tips in hot soapy water (fully submerged) and pop it in the microwave for 5 minutes, drain, fill with clean water (no soap), repeat until water comes out clear....than it is to sit and scrub and prod each and EVERY little tip and coupler....and it always gets ALL the greasy residue off too!

um... are you saying you put metal tips is the microwave? icon_confused.gif

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 7:01pm
post #42 of 53

For me it is so much easier to put my tips in a jar full of Hot SOAPY water , put the lid on a shake. Dump water add some more clean water shake again. Rinse. Presto cleano!!

Misdawn Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 7:43pm
post #43 of 53

Yes you can put your tips in the microwave as long as they are COMPLETELY COVERED with water. Do NOT for any reason let the water level drop below the tips!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:26pm
post #44 of 53

I put my tips in a a plastic baby bottle basket washer and run them through the dish washer, like this ~ http://store.odiz.biz/sadodiba2pa.html

It is also so much easier to use Bakers Joy then it is to grease and flour my pans!

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 5:38pm
post #45 of 53

I have got agree with the bakers joy!!!! Love that stuff.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 6:10pm
post #46 of 53

It is so much easier to color MMF while it is still in its liquid state rather than after you have added PS to it.

It is so much easier to level a cake if you overfill your pans and put the cake back in the pan after it has cooled to level off the top.

It is so much easier to just buy black and red fondant than to make it, and after you screw it up 5 times it is cheaper too icon_smile.gif.

It is so much easier to use foamcore rounds covered in press and seal rather than those flimsy cardboard rounds.

It is so much easier to make figures after a couple of Aine2's tutorials or even a book on clay figure making.

It is so much easier and more economical to buy clay making tools and use them rather than the more expensive "fondant/gumpaste tools."

It is so much easier to rely on your fellow Cake Buddies for support for disasters, because they know best what you are going through and more importantly how to fix it!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 6:15pm
post #47 of 53

It is so much easier and neater to cover your board with RI as a base. it dries hard and it is insanely cheap to make and you dont need a whole lot.

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 6:46pm
post #48 of 53

It is so much easier for me to buy a second set of mixing bowls and extra beaters for my mixer to have on hand when switching from cake batter to frosting to RI, etc. rather than have to stop and wash them in between. (no dishwasher)

It is so much easier when working with candy melts/bark to keep a tub of boiled hot water in the sink to drop my spoons & bowls into before the chocolate hardens. Also easier to keep my melted chocolate on a hot plate or mug warmer while working.

It is so much easier for me to construct additional workspace that drops down when needed (like a Murphy bed or a bunk on a cruise ship) and goes away when it is not.

It is so much easier for me to load my recipes and favorite CC pics onto the digital picture frame that hangs on my kitchen wall to read and refer to "hands-free" rather than print them out.

Misdawn Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:04pm
post #49 of 53

Amen Superwawa! I don't have a dishwasher either!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:27pm
post #50 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

It's SO much easier to put your decorating tips in hot soapy water (fully submerged) and pop it in the microwave for 5 minutes, drain, fill with clean water (no soap), repeat until water comes out clear....than it is to sit and scrub and prod each and EVERY little tip and coupler....and it always gets ALL the greasy residue off too!

um... are you saying you put metal tips is the microwave? icon_confused.gif

Oh yeah, sounds crazy I know.......this is how I clean luster dust and americolor gels out of my paintbrushes too.....works SO well!!! I suppose you could boil them on the stovetop and get the same results but who's got time for that??? When I'm done decorating for the day I pull off all the tips and pop em' in a bowl and cover them in water and pop them in the microwave for 5 min. drain, and repeat until it comes out clear....then i flip them upside down on a paper towel to dry and they're ready to go for the next day. Nothing worse that trying to make a cake and finding out the tip you need is filled with black and you need to pipe white! lol

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 9:33pm
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrycanary62

[

and last but not least.....

Its so much easier when baking a cake if the oven is ON!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh boy, am I ever glad I'm not the only one who's done that!!! but you said it first!!! I honestly couldn't figure out why on earth the cakes still looked so wet after 20 min in the oven. UGH!!!

Ditto the children and loving the design. Ditto the measuring bit, too. And finally, it is WAY easier to remember where you are in the process if you have ONLY been putting the rum in the CAKE!!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 1:27am
post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Why on earth would you freeze fondant decorations?

yeah? icon_confused.gif

wouldn't you then have to deal with sweating? just make 'em and leave 'em out! or in a box.

If you need them to stay flexible you can freeze them and let them warm up a little before you put them on the cake. That way they don't harden up and you don't have to make a bunch of lace pieces at the last minute.

I've done cakes with the lace press pieces that were curved over the top edges of each tier, and I did the fondant lace ahead of time and froze them. Works fine.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 4:11am
post #53 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

It's so much easier making cookies with cutters than trying to cut around a template (no matter how chilled your dough is or how sharp your knife or x-acto is), I found this out a few days ago and will make my own cutter(s) if I have to before attempting that again.

I had to do this the other day and ended up cutting then out with my stitching wheel (quilting wheel? you know, that fabric thing that makes the dotted line look). Worked great!! HTH

GREAT idea! I could totally see that working...THANKS!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%