Candy Barrel Cake Question

Decorating By morgansmommy Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 7:03am by andpotts

morgansmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgansmommy Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 3:00am
post #1 of 14

Hey ya'll I came across a problem today. I made the candy barrell cake with the kitkats around the outside wrapped with a bow and m&m's on the top. I only went a few houses up the road to deliver the cake and by the time I got there (driving only 5 mph) it was a disaster. I also had icing at the top and bottom of the kitkats also. Can someone tell me what I did wrong? Please help me. I have another one for this Monday, but about 20 miles from my home this time and I am scared to death 'bout this one. icon_cry.gif

13 replies
Madiken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madiken Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 3:07am
post #2 of 14

I've made a few of these and they have transported very well. Do you have a picture? Was there icing on the sides of the cake to hold the kitkats?

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 4:08am
post #3 of 14

I traveled with mine for almost an hour and had no problems at all. I did a thick crumb coat with bc on the entire cake and when it crusted, I then put the kit-kats on. I broke each kit-kat apart and made sure the words kit-kat were all in the same direction and pressed them against the cake real good after they were all put on and then I tied the ribbon around them. They stayed on just fine. I sat the cake in the hatch back part of my car on top of a rubber shelf liner. That babydoll didn't move. HTH

morgansmommy Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 14

okay thank ya'll! I'm not sure how to post photos on here to show ya'll icon_sad.gif

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 14

I went 3 blocks with my barrel cake and it was fine, I had froze the kit kats before I put them on the cake, then chilled the whole cake overnight.

morgansmommy Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 14

I heard if you do that the kitkats will sweat so I was scared to do that! I will drive real slow and hope not to have a heart attack on the way!

BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:01pm
post #7 of 14

I did a crumb coat on the cake but then I put some more icing on each kitkat to help it "stick". once it set up a bit, it was fine.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:12pm
post #8 of 14

if you cant post a pic ('my photos' on the left, then in the dark purple bar across the top 'upload picture') then you need to explain what happened.
was the problem with the cake? the buttercream? the sweets on top? the kitkats?
xx

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:14pm
post #9 of 14

I did one and drove it to NJ from VA. It was fine. I put on a semi-thick layer of icing, then Pepperidge Farm pirouette cookies, then a ribbon around it to keep them in place. Did you use a ribbon? I had no trouble at all.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:31pm
post #10 of 14

I used Bettercreme icing on mine, stuck Kit Kats on the sides and then tied with ribbon. Kept two sticks together so when cutting slice that was about the right size for a slice of cake - difficult cake to cut with the M&M's on top - MESSY!

I did not refrigerate anything before or after and drove 35 miles with it to work, hauled it in from the car and up the elevator and it sat around for a few hours before it was cut.

morgansmommy Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 8:46pm
post #11 of 14

well the cake got there today in one piece!! Praise God!!! Oh and I was using peanutbutter buttercream icing and had a peanut butter cookie I had baked and put in the middle of a 8 in. torted choc. cake!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:09am
post #12 of 14

It sounds like the Bettercreme may have been the problem if the other icing worked fine.

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 7:00am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

It sounds like the Bettercreme may have been the problem if the other icing worked fine.

I don't think the OP used Bettercream, but like Peridot I do use Bettercream on my candy barrel cakes, just because they are already so sweet and I have never had a problem.

I use the snack pack kit kats and leave them in 2's. I do NOT refrigerate, because the one time someone put one in the frige at work, when we took it out all of the candy sweat and the M&M's turned all dull, ugh! The ribbon holds the kit kats on and mine have been transported as far as my 45 minute commute.

Also I don't pour gobs of M&M's on top, just enough to cover the surface, it just looks like there are lots, so there's no real issue with cutting either. This is seriously one of the easiest cakes to whip up and people are always so excited by it. Good luck to anyone who tries in the future! Andrea

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 7:03am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansmommy

well the cake got there today in one piece!! Praise God!!! Oh and I was using peanutbutter buttercream icing and had a peanut butter cookie I had baked and put in the middle of a 8 in. torted choc. cake!

Morgansmommy your cake sounds delicious, chocolate cake with Peanutbutter cookie is my favorite cookie in cake combo, then chocolate cake with Raspberry filling and sugar cookie! So glad it all worked out for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%