What Is This Cake Topper Made Of?

Decorating By ladyonzlake Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 3:17pm by ladyonzlake

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:06am
post #1 of 17

I have a bride wanting a quote on this. Do you think the topper is chocolate or gumpaste?
LL

16 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:16am
post #2 of 17

looks like chocolate

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 4:42am
post #3 of 17

My understanding of that particular cake is that it is a display cake made out of styrofoam. The topper could be either gum paste or chocolate, but I suspect that with the color variations and the need for it to hold up for display, it's probably gum paste.

Another aspect of it is that when you look at the supports, it's completely unrealistic to place supports that close to the edge of a cake. The cakes are tapered and the supports go in at an angle icon_eek.gif

It can be done, but a bit differently. I'd do the topper out of gum paste so that it would be less fragile.

Just my .02
Rae

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 5:07am
post #4 of 17

It looks like chocolate to me with chocolate transfer sheets to get some of the colors and designs.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 5:29am
post #5 of 17

I say gumpaste...

ladyonzlake Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 5:40am
post #6 of 17

I was thinking that it was chocolate with transfers but some of them are curved? I don't think you could make chocolate curve like that but I'm not positive.

I went to the Las Vegas Cake Camp in Sept. with a friend of mine and she said this cake was one of the centerpieces at the banquet (I must of missed it) there so I have an email out to the treasure of the California Cake Club to find out who did the cake.

all4cake Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 5:50am
post #7 of 17

This one looks similar...

http://www.pastryarts.com/pastryarts.com/Wedding_Gallery.html#4

Yes, chocolate can be curved/bent/shaped all kinds of ways. For the same reasons as PP stated, I thought it was gp.

ETA: The image in the background on the link shows what looks like the same cake as OP shared....if that helps...

ETA again:http://www.pastryarts.com/pastryarts.com/Cakes.html

mentions the decor of their cakes and what they make most of them out of...

all4cake Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 6:08am
post #8 of 17

Found this demo from the same artist(s)...So, my first thought when I read their decors were either chocolate or sugar meant chocolate or sugar(as in poured/pulled) was a misguided thought...'sugar' could also mean, pastillage, gumpaste, or any other sugar containing product with which decorators make crazy toppers and other decorations...

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/69493-demo-intro-to-pastillage/

ladyonzlake Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 6:22am
post #9 of 17

Thank you all4cake. That is the cake and it sounds like it was made out of Pastillage and then painted. I've never worked with this so I may have to give it a try!

all4cake Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 6:27am
post #10 of 17

transfers can be used on other stuff too, can't they? Like fondant, gumpaste, and pastillage?

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:07pm
post #11 of 17

I beleive so, not quite sure. But here is an FYI for you. We just started carrying 8.5x11 customizeable transfer sheet. This means if you have an edible printer, you can print your own. The are at a great price of only $40 for 24 sheets. Hope this helps

all4cake Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:26pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

I beleive so, not quite sure. But here is an FYI for you. We just started carrying 8.5x11 customizeable transfer sheet. This means if you have an edible printer, you can print your own. The are at a great price of only $40 for 24 sheets. Hope this helps

How are you able to do it with an edible printer? I thought those things were made using chocolate colors (cocoa butter based colorants) my edible printer is just an ordinary edible printer. I don't think the thicker colorant would flow very well throught the ports.

ladyonzlake Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:05pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks icingimages. I have order from you and love your inks. They don't clog up like KopyKakes and I love your edible paper...easy to remove the back.

Yes, if I use pastillage I could print some images and place on them.

Anyone who works with chocolate and transfers....do you think this topper would hold up if I made it from chocolate? Might be spendy though.

ladyonzlake Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:07pm
post #14 of 17

I wouldn't think the chocolate transfer sheets would work with anything other than chocolate?

all4cake Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:10pm
post #15 of 17

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=838&s=&name=Chocolate%20/%20fondant%20Transfer%20Sheets

They state fondant too...

I'm interested in the blank sheets and how it'll work in my edible printer without clogging the ports/printhead...

csorrell71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
csorrell71 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:14pm
post #16 of 17

I'm not as experienced with cake, but art I get, so this is my point of view as I post here.

I'm not sure that it really matters what the original cake topper was made of, it could be created using chocolate or gumpaste.
If you are not comfortable with both, then just present the bride with the option that you can pull off!
If you are comfortable working with both, take into consideration any factors like wedding location, environmental(temperature/weather), that would make one a better choice. If you still have no preference, then you could present it to the bride this way: "This is a beautiful cake and the topper could be achieved using either gumpaste or chocolate." I would give her the pro's and cons, chocolate would be great because it tastes marvelous and could be served with the cake, but gumpaste is more durable but just for appearance. Then I would give her the prices for both and let her decide.

ladyonzlake Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:17pm
post #17 of 17

Yes, thank you that is a good idea. The wedding is in May so heat is not a factor. I have worked with chocolate filled molds so I would be comfortable working with any of the products.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%