Half Chocolate Half Vanilla Cake...help!

Decorating By LadyCas Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 11:15pm by cabecakes

LadyCas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyCas Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 9

The cake I have to make is a 12" square single tiered cake. They want it to be half chocolate and half vanilla. My first thought in doing this is to put waxed paper between the two flavors but I am afraid it will bleed through. The biggest problem is I need to do this today, so i need to use the materials that i have here at home. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

8 replies
jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 9

that might work. Or you could just bake one of each and then cut them in half. You could freeze the other halves for later use.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 9

roll up a tea towel and place it under one end of your prepared pan. Pour in the vanilla batter then begin pouring the chocolate batter and remove the towel as you begin to pour. the two batters will meet in the middle - they will not blend.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 9

What cupcakemkr said. All of my sheet cakes are half-n-half and that's how I do it. You dont' have to have a straight-line down the center with a perfectly divided cake. My customers tell me they fight over those "marbled" pieces from teh center! thumbs_up.gif

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

roll up a tea towel and place it under one end of your prepared pan. Pour in the vanilla batter then begin pouring the chocolate batter and remove the towel as you begin to pour. the two batters will meet in the middle - they will not blend.

Here's a video that shows you how:

stashie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stashie Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:45am
post #6 of 9

I usually just cut a piece of cardboard the same size as the width of the pan, place in the middle and pour batter on each side. Its helpful if you have an extra set a hands to hold cardboard steady in the middle. After both batters are poured, gently lift cardboard up and out of batter.

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 4:36am
post #7 of 9

Just as others have said the towel and tilt works great. I have a nice picture tutorial from Cakery if you want it, just PM me your email thumbs_up.gif

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 9

Cool idea. The video was very helpful. I will have to try this next time.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 11:15pm
post #9 of 9

What I do when I want to make a 1/2 and 1/2 cake is this: I use the thin plastic cutting boards cut to the size of the pan only 4 inches longer. I fold two inches to one side and 2 inches to the other side (forming a sort of Z shape only straight in the middle. I place it in the center of the pan...hopefully I have a extra set of hands around and I have them pour one side of the batter while I pour the other at the same rate. When the batter meets in the middle, slowly pull the plastic strip out of the batter. It works great! All you do is wash it and you can use it again. For small pans you can even cut strips out of plastic milk jugs...I like to reduce, reuse, and recycle. HEE HEE.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%