What Do I Add To Make Fondant Hard Like Gumpaste?

Decorating By shell62995 Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 10:07pm by Peridot

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 6

I remember reading it somewhere. But It is so hard to color gp bows red or black. So if I could add something to my fondant I would have better luck! TY!

5 replies
tab_stout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tab_stout Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 6

Tylose works well

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 6

Gum-Tex. That is what I use and I use MMF on all my cakes. I don't know what fondant you use but I am sure that it will work with whatever fondant you use. Hope it helps.

Vic

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 6

Tylose, gum tex, gum trag, cmc, or even gumpaste can be added to fondant to help it dry faster/harder.

Wilton makes gum-tex so if you don't have a cake store around that would probably be the way to go. If you do have a cake store around you can see if they carry Tylose, CMC or gum trag.

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone! I use SI and was placing another order at GSA. I'll order some gum trag icon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 6

I also use red and black SI (would never waste my time trying to make my own red or black as it never turns out the way I want it) and when I use it to make bows or for decoration I add some white gumpaste and tylose. The red and black are so intense that you can add some white gumpaste or fondant (I use Wilton) and not even notice. It makes the SI a little easier to use. Be sure to add enough tylose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%