Calling All Licensed Nc Home Bakers!

Business By Dreme Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 6:17pm by jenise11

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 5

What are the exact forms I need to fill out and send in to become legal?

I got the:

- City of Raleigh Business Application (which then needs...)
- ... The Home Occupation Application
- Business Registration Application for Income Tax Withholding, Sale & Use Tax....etc
- Certificate of Assummed Name For a Sole Proprietorship.....etc (where do I send this? Looks like a plain sheet of paper.)
- Revenue Department: Prepared Food & Beverage Tax Application
- Almost ready to be inspected.

On the Home Occupation Application do I fill out the top part? Not sure if some of the question are directed for me to fill out. Like Application Name, Receipt #, Application#, and Fee. If there is a fee what is the fee for this application?

Is there something im missing? How do I send in this information? Do I mail and wait or walk in? At what point am I legal to opperate? Do I have to wait for all the forms to go through? What are all the fees?

Inspection: My work area is the dinning room and is carpeted. Do I need to change it out or is that ok? Do they say something?

I feel like im missing something. This is my first big legal responsiblity and im nervous. All this is me and I want to make sure I got it right.

4 replies
JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 1:15am
post #2 of 5

This place is a actually teaches you (online course) to become a licensed bakery (I'm a hobby baker, always will be but I like information).This is on the NC AG website.

This is for North Caroline ONLY. The only thing I do know is that you cannot have a pet in the house of ANY kind (which is a shame much more germ ridden things than a pet) anyway, no fish, no bird, no lizard, dog, cat, etc.

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 5

I guess we do not have too many NC home bakers on cc. I am in NC and plan to get licensed in next 6 month.I wish I could help you, but I know as much as you do. My guess you can't have carpet in your work area.

jenise11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenise11 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 5

Starting out, your business license is $50.00 and your home occupation permit is $72.00. If you are in the Raleigh area you can take care of both your license and permit at the zoning department downtown. Your inspection which I would do first before anything, is pretty simple to take care of, like what justtoeatcake said, go to the dept of AG website to find out what is required for your inspection. I would also look into getting liability insurance. Your kitchen is the main focus of your inspection and no pets inside the home. Emphasis(sp) is placed on sanitation and labeling. If you have anymore questions please let me know. I wish all the best to you! thumbs_up.gif

jenise11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenise11 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 5

Dreme, like your site, very professional! The home occupation app. at the top place your start date. Everything else is self explanatory. If you have any questions just call the zoning dept. I don't think you are legal until you get your inspection and have your permit and business license.

Quote by @%username% on %date%