Almond Bark Icing

Decorating By jokestersn Updated 22 Dec 2009 , 2:43pm by jokestersn

jokestersn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jokestersn Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 5:10am
post #1 of 8

I am HORRIBLE with trying to make Buttercream smooth. I know the tips and tricks, but they never turn out.

I am wondering if you can cover a cake with chocolate Almond bark to get the smooth look?

If you can, do you need to add buttercream under it? I would guess you would, but you would still need to add a layer or two of the almond bark to get it smooth.

Would this even work? How would it taste? I am guessin it would still taste better than fondant, even MMF.

Any ideas, anyone tried it? My groom's cake is due Friday....HELP..

7 replies
caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 5:16am
post #2 of 8

I've never tried it. Could you do it on a small cake for trial and error? You've tried ALL the tips and tricks? Viva, Melvira???????? I can't ice a cake to save my life but with these I have learned to fake iticon_smile.gif Perfectly smooth...no. Reasonably...yes. You can do this.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 5:19am
post #3 of 8

I've never heard of using almond bark to ice a cake. I can't say that it sounds very tasty, sorry. You'd still have to smooth it, and it cools pretty quickly. What kind of icicng are you wanting for the grooms cake? I use ganache for my chocolate cakes. It's fairly easy to work with and simple to make. Tastes wonderful!! I've never made the white chocolate ganache, just the dark choc. If it's a choc grooms cake, you might want to consider ganache.

jokestersn Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 5:47am
post #4 of 8

I am going to be putting a Tractor on top of the groom's cake, would ganache still be suitable for that?

I guess I don't REALLY need the buttercream to be smooth...I am planning on putting a fence around the cake and using green "grass" icing around the entire cake.

I guess I was looking for an "easy" out. LOL

Thanks for the quick reply.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 6:12am
post #5 of 8

Sure, you could put a tractor on ganache, but your bc ought to be fine too, especially if you're adding the fence and grass. You know super smooth bc has it's place, but I've seen some cakes I've absolutely loves that had spackled looking bc, and others that are done with straight sides and sharp edges but the bc wasn't made real smooth. Just depends on the look you're going for. Have fun with it. If it has a flaw don't point it out and no one will notice.

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 8

Don't be afraid to practice on getting the BC smooth underneath. Practice makes better. And you might try a different BC recipe. Other than that What CarolAnn said is right. Good luck!!!!

jokestersn Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you all for your advice! I may try the spackled look.

jokestersn Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 8

Here is the final cake...I was able to get my buttercream smooth, but I did the wavy look and I like the outcome.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%