Would You Be Offended?

Lounge By joyfullysweet Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 3:01am by mrspriss0912

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 22

So, I'm new to the cake decorating world. I've been playing around with it for a while, but have just recently become a bit more serious with it. As of now I'm not trying to start a business, but it is something I would like to do in the future.

I've been posting my cake pictures on Facebook for my friends and family to see and have been getting wonderful feedback from them. One of my friends wrote on my wall that she decided she would like to start taking the Wilton classes (I'm almost done with Wilton 1). I thought this was great and wrote back to tell her that when she was done with 1 I would pick up number 2 with her.

Anyway, her mom writes after my comment, "[my friend] is already WONDERFUL at decorating cakes, just wait until she takes some classes." That just felt like a slap in the face to me considering she has seen pictures of all my work.

I'm not saying that I'm perfect, and that my work is of professional quality, but that just kinda hurt. Would you be offended? I knew if anyone would feel the same way, it would be my cc friends!

21 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 22

Nope. I don't let myself get upset at stuff like that. Life is just too dang short and way too long.

Shake it off.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 22

I'm sorry, I have no idea why you would be offended by this, unless I'm reading it wrong. All the mom wrote was that her daughter was great at decorating cakes and was excited to see how good she'd be with some actual classes. She didn't make any jabs at you at all. I would not be offended even a little, teeny, weensy bit and am confused why this comment would be offensive. Like I said, maybe I read it wrong. Glad you are loving cake decorating. Have fun with your next classes!

joyfullysweet Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 22

I guess you're right. I am probably being overly sensitive. It just seemed like her mom was saying to me that her daughter was already good, and when she takes classes that her work would be better than what she's seen of mine. Of course I understand that there are thousands of people better than me out there, but not the confidence booster a newbie needed.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 22

I also think the mom was saying that the daughter has some natural talent and that she will be even better after she takes the cake classes. So don't worry - I don't think it had anything to do with you.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 22

The Mom was promoting her kid--you are right to just let it pass--it's not a contest like Mommie is trying to make of it.

There's an open door on that room for offense but no don't go in, pass on by.

joyfullysweet Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:34pm
post #7 of 22

lol, thanks K8memphis. I guess I should have mentioned that this friend is an "anything you can do I can do better" kind of person. I've let it go, just can't pretend that it didn't sting a bit!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 22

Fakebook seems to have been designed for really competitive people...at least the ones I know on it seem to be there to brag about everything, so I don't let it bug me. I set it to hide the most irritating people and when I get irritated by the ones I haven't hidden yet, I just remind myself that I'm only on Fakebook to play Bejeweled icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Anyhow, don't let it bother you, I'm sure that the mom was just being supportive of her kid.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 22

No, you cant tell tone of voice from writing...Mom was proud of her creative daughter and wants to let all her own FB friends know it. My mom does stuff like that too. You should be happy for your friend that she has a supportive Mom and if the friend wants to do class 2 with you that would be great. I did #1 by myself and it was kind of boring, but luckily my tablemate signed up for 2 and 3 with me so I knew someone and we sat together through the whole course, It made it more fun.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 22

As a Mom of two very accomplished kids, I hope to God I would not ever use someone else's Facebook wall to promote either of them in a field shared by owner of said wall.

The only way I can give Mom a by on this is if she doesn't exactly know how Facebook works~~because FB is kinda confusing. Other than that that's a huge f.u.

Quote:
Quote:

"...just wait..."

??

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:51pm
post #11 of 22

Mom was just bragging up her kid.... don't let it bother you...

Best wishes learning your new skills.

Jen icon_smile.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 9:59pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Nope. I don't let myself get upset at stuff like that. Life is just too dang short and way too long.

Shake it off.

thumbs_up.gif

browniebatterer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
browniebatterer Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 11:58pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

The Mom was promoting her kid--you are right to just let it pass--it's not a contest like Mommie is trying to make of it.

There's an open door on that room for offense but no don't go in, pass on by.

Quote:

As a Mom of two very accomplished kids, I hope to God I would not ever use someone else's Facebook wall to promote either of them in a field shared by owner of said wall.

The only way I can give Mom a by on this is if she doesn't exactly know how Facebook works~~because FB is kinda confusing. Other than that that's a huge f.u.

Quote:
Quote:

"...just wait..."

??

These are two very conflicting remarks. I am totally confused which one is making your point. icon_redface.gif Do you mean the mom was wrong, or do you mean she didn't mean offense?

browniebatterer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
browniebatterer Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 11:59pm
post #14 of 22

Also, I would bristle at it, but I would chose to ignore it. In fact, feel free to delete the comment off your page! icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 12:31am
post #15 of 22

She was just being snotty about her daughter, and if she's an "I'm better than you" type it probably isn't the first time. Just remember that it isn't personal, that kind of thing is more about her being insecure than anything that you did.

Her daughter could probably decorate a cake that looked like a pile of poop and her mom would say it was the best thing ever.

joyfullysweet Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 12:45am
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Her daughter could probably decorate a cake that looked like a pile of poop and her mom would say it was the best thing ever.

...and that's part of it. My friend does not decorate cakes. I've seen one cake that she's decorated for her daughter's birthday, that's it. It's not like this is something that my friend is really into like I am.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 1:23am
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniebatterer

Quote:

Do you mean the mom was wrong, or do you mean she didn't mean offense?

The second comment I made is an extension of the first. I didn't comment on if the Mom meant to be offensive or not--I don't know.

I don't know what you mean.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:20am
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith060504

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

...and that's part of it. My friend does not decorate cakes. I've seen one cake that she's decorated for her daughter's birthday, that's it. It's not like this is something that my friend is really into like I am.

Meh, then her mom is just delusional. Ignore her.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 5:20pm
post #19 of 22

I can see why you felt hurt. But knowing your friend and her mom I would not take it personal. Obviously, this mother is the one with the issue(s). Just keep enjoying your cakes, they look great!

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:25am
post #20 of 22

I would def. be taking it offensively. But i dont think I would confront them.. I would either delete there comment.. or them.. or just ignore it. It would depend on what they had been like to me in the past....Im sorry, but i know a lot of people like that.. as soon as you start doing something well, they feel like they need to come take over it all. grrrrr. drives me insane.

sorry, im in a pretty bad mood tonight though too.. so dont mind me too much...hahahaha

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:15pm
post #21 of 22

You know that is the bad thing about FB and any social network site as well. Things can get miscrued and/or people write before thinking.

A few months ago I asked my cousin how my uncle was doing (he had the flu) and she asked why. I told her b/c we're family and I care about family. And she replied "really?" Ouch! Well, I know it was coming from me not visiting my sister who had maybe a month earlier had some kidney stones removed. Little did my cousin know though that my sister didn't even tell us (she doesn't talk to us because we don't approve of her bad decisions), and when we called her at the hospital (after we heard and investigated ourselves), she was asleep. And I'm betting money that whoever answered the phone never told her we called. Anyway, I could have continued it with my cousin, but for what? I wasn't going to gain anything other than airing our dirty laundry out in public - not my style.

mrspriss0912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrspriss0912 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:01am
post #22 of 22

Just ignore her post , Besides if she is that pushy about it who is to say tha yes her daughter may take a class and discover that it is too much work for her to deal with. I have a friend who was all about taking the classes and us starting a business guess what she took one course didnt like it and called me to make her daughters (twins) b-day cake while she watched and gave her opinion. I would delete the comment and just go on making your beautiful cakes icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%