Aussie Fondant Users - How Do You Get Black?

Decorating By tujy Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 3:16pm by Bluehue

tujy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tujy Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:46am
post #1 of 10

i need to make 75-100 cookies that will be majority black fondant (not really sure how much fondant i'll need but i'm guessing maybe 2kg or so)

since they will be stuck onto cookies, i want them to taste good because i'm guessing the cookie receivers probably wouldn't be peeling off the fondant like you might do if it was on a cake.

i've thought of a few options but just wanted to see which method is best:

1) buy cake art black and mix it 50/50 ish with white bakels pettinice (not sure if it'll result in a grey and require americolor black)

2) same as above except mixing it 50/50 with chocolate pettinice (not keen on the choc tho because it doesn't really suit the flavour of the cookies i'm making)

3) buy black regalice (not sure if regalice tastes great or is truly ready to roll out without mixing in some bakels - heard it tastes bad??)

3) fork out the money for satin ice black (don't know where i can get this in australia & is this even tasty/easy to work with?)

o and 1 last thing, does it really stain ones mouth black?

any help?
tia

9 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:04am
post #2 of 10

When i did black fondant cookies i ended up adding the cocoa to white fondant and then black colour and i don't mind if it taste a little like chocolate cose it is usually just going on almond or plain cookies anyway bit it didn't taste overly chocolatly

Not many people like cake art cose it is hard to work with and i think if you mix it with white bakels pettinice it will only go grey....never tried it just my opinion, and you prob would need to add the black colouring.

Can you buy black bakels pettinice? cose i am told it's great to work with and tastes good. The next time i need ready made fondant i am going to be buying that brand.

If you want to know about reglace i suggest you ask the user 'Bluehue' on here cose she uses it ALL the time and really likes it so if you have any question you might want to PM her about it, not sure if she has used the black colour though

Can't comment on if the black ready made fondant stains your teeth cose i have never tried it, all i know is the stuff with cocoa and black doesn't but that's all sorry

sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:06am
post #3 of 10

Hi, I'm in New Zealand so not sure of your fondtant product choices. We have a chocolate pettinice fondant here and I use that and add black wilton or chefmaster gel to that. If you can't get the chocolate fondant then colour white with brown first to give a rich brown and then add black - you'll use heaps less black this way. Good luck & remember the black darkens over time too.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:37am
post #4 of 10

I use black CakeArt mixed with Pettinice chocolate and Pettinice white then add some Americolour or Wilton's black if necessary. It's not very chocolatey and makes the CakeArt (yuk!) much easier to work with and palatable.
I can't say I've noticed anyone's mouth going black (but you don't want to know what happens in my 2year old's nappy!! icon_biggrin.gif )

HTH

tujy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tujy Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 10:35am
post #5 of 10

has anyone tried mixing cake art black with just WHITE pettinice - is it effective?

i also thought about adding a bit of vanilla extract to improve/disguise the flavour of cake art mixed 50/50 with pettinice - anyone tried this?

Lazysuze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazysuze Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:05am
post #6 of 10

I have mixed black cake art with white orchard icing about 50/50 and it is still very black, lord knows how much colouring is in the cake art stuff, I know it is shocking to work with neat.
Don't forget it will deepen in colour as it dries too.
Can't comment on black tongues, must try it some time! thumbs_up.gif

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:35am
post #7 of 10

The flavour is fine - you can mix the black CakeArt with ANY other colour - I use up my leftover other colours - the black is very intense and absorbs any colour if you do it in a 50:50 ratio - I normally use Bakels so can't comment on the Orchard. It doesn't go grey - it stays a deep rich black colour.
You can add it to Bakels chocolate fondant if you wish - but I would not be rushing out to purchase it if you have other colours on hand.

The same applies to the CakeArt red and green.

I never worry much about the coloured fondants like so many do .... my fondant cover is REALLY thin - 1/8th inch or less - and underneath that dark fondant is a delicious ganache layer!

I know a lot of the English girls cover in white and then do an additional thin layer of the black or dark colour (to avoid consumption of all that colour).... can't say I have been swayed to do that yet.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:42am
post #8 of 10

ooo i forgot to say that i use the orchard brand of fondant to cover all my sugar cookies and i think it tastes good. I find it very soft but i don't worry about that unless it's on cakes, but for biscuits i like using it icon_biggrin.gif

Rhiannon_Scarlett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhiannon_Scarlett Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 1:51pm
post #9 of 10

I made black MMF for my lady bug cake.
I just added some melted chocolate to the melted marshmallows & Wilton black colour.
It tasted fantastic and didnt need too much colour so no mouths were black.
icon_smile.gif
Im in Perth and I didnt like the taste of the fondants i could buy.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:16pm
post #10 of 10

I only use the Jet Black Regalice - because it isn't Fondant.

Elasticity is famtastic - doesn't fade - and needs no cornflour or powdered sugar when rolling out and kneeding.

But then it is made in the UK and they do make superior products when it comes to all things to do with Cake Decorating.

Someone said it tastes bad icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif how odd - as if anything it has a mild Vanilla flavour.

No need to mix it with anything - as it is as black as you are ever going to get.
Wouldn't waste my time mixing this with that to get a Jet Black when such a brillante product is available.

The only way to purchase it in Australia is through Champagne Cakes here in Perth.

Bluehue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%